Retaliatory Eviction??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosebud1

Where shall I start?? What a year! We moved into an apartment in august 2004 on a 1 year lease. In October (We actually moved in on Sept 14th) about 3-4 weeks later, we had a MAJOR water leak from the upstairs hot water tank exploding. It did quite a bit of damage to the bathroom, kitchen and bedroom ceilings. We notified the landlord right away of the problem, they fixed the upstairs problem, but didn't do anything about our problem w/ the ceilings. Then.....right after Christmas another MAJOR leak, this time it was soapy water from the washer- (they had the drain for teh washer in the bathtub and it was not secure). This time it was NOT looked at in our apartment- ceilings worse- ruined my daughters bed etc.....We started to smell musty odors and realized we were infested w/ mold all over one side of the apartment. We called the landlord and they purchased a dehimidifier but it only worked in 1 room. the other rooms were still infested and having to be cleaned constantly. Again, in april, another water leak from upstairs, thsi time a sink in the bathroom has overflowed, adding to the damage to the ceilings. I called the building inspector. they were ordered to repair the ceilings w/ in 30 days. Nothing was ever done. I sent them a certified letter requesting that the repairs be made immediately. I had advised them that if things were not taken care of that I would be forced to contact authorities. They sent me a letter telling me that they were not going to do anything until they heard from my "wonderful representatives." I did file a complaint w/ the local code inspector and w/ the State Attorney General's office. Code enforcment did an inspection and advised them that the ceilings had to be repaired, they have not been done. The landlords advised the attorney general's office that they would be replaced now that they know what has to be done. it has been 3 months since i contacted them and since repairs were to be done. Now, the kitchen ceiling is so week it has started to fall in. I made one last attempt at having the landlords fix it and again sent them a certified letter reqeusting that the repairs be made. (in the meantime the code inspector was to do a final inspection- they told him we would not be there) We advised the LL that we would withhold the rent until the repairs were made, they sent us a 30 day notice to vacate- their exact words- "in response to your certified letter today we are giving you your 30 day notice" After much research, and consulting w/ a legal agency we have been advised to stay where we are as long as we have all correspondence and the rent $ in an acct. Has anyone had this experience? Just wondering the outcome! And any advice anyone has is greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back