Restraining order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladislaus

Sorry, I didn't know where exactly to post this. :(

But here's the deal. I'm 19. Two weeks ago I started dating this girl who is 16. Things were going really well, but just today I found out that her step-dad, who she has described frequently as "mean" and "abusive," and who is separated from her mother, hates the idea of her dating a 19-year old.

Of course, I didn't know that that was the reason she called me last night and sobbingly told me that we couldn't see each other anymore until I talked to one of her friends. She said that my being 3 years older than the girl is apparently a big deal to her step-dad. And...

Basically, my question is this: Can someone file a restraining order against you if you haven't broken any laws?

EDIT: But mostly, what I'm looking for is pity. /sob

Last edited:
The fact that she is 16 and your 19 could land you in jail depending on the law of consent (sexual) in your state. However, that being said, the step-dad has no legal rights over the step-child unless he adopted her at some point. What does the mother say? Would she go along with a restraining order?

I am so positive that the age of consent here in Ohio is 16. Aside from that, we haven't done anything sexual and I am of course very wary of doing something like that in the first place. I'm not a complete idiot. :p

Anyway, I thought her mom liked me. I'm going to talk to the girl tonight and ask her what her mom thinks about this whole thing. If possible, and if she thinks it's wise, I'm going to try actually talking to her mom.

Q: Can someone file a restraining order against you if you haven't broken any laws?

A: Of course. It's done all the time. And, in fact, judges hand out these orders like candy because they do not want to see this headline in the daily newspaper: Judge Doofus refuses TRO; Victim killed; Lynching of Judge Doofus planned tonite....

You're right; Age of consent in Ohio is 16 : ) AND Seniorjudge is right yet again! Check this site out; http://www.edwardcweberlaw.com/RestrainingOrders.html
It explains different types of orders just for FYI (It's an Ohio lawyer's website). If a restaining order is filed you do get to reply to it and if the mother doesn't mind you seeing the daughter, then she could go with you and back you up. How long have the step dad and mom been separated? Does it look like they'll get back together? You didn't say whether or not the daughter was adopted by step dad or not. Keep us updated on what happens and good luck!

That's an interesting site. I'm not really familiar with the specifics of restraining orders. So you can really file a restraining order against some guy just because you think he's 3 years too old for your step-daughter? What a country!

Anywho, I didn't ask her if her step-dad adopted her because she was flipping out and it didn't really seem prudent at the time. I'll ask her for certain, but for now I would say that he hasn't adopted her. I probably won't be able to talk to her for a few days, though, because I'm a little afraid to call the house. :no:

I don't know how long the mother and step-father have been separated. The step-dad lives in the apartment below them, but I guess it's kinda like a basement. There's no electricity or running water, so he goes up to use their bathroom and eat with them.

As an aside, my dad is knows that family and accuses them of only living in a situation like that in order to collect welfare. Heh. People these days.

Let's see... I don't know if the mother would back me up in that situation, because I get the feeling that she would want to avoid crossing the step-father.

Oh, and thanks for helping me with this. I really appreciate it!

Sorry to double post. I'm not worrying about the legal issues anymore because I'm pretty much done with that girl. I'm sure you all know how it is. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back