Restored Collector Car NOT as Described

Status
Not open for further replies.

irace25

I recently purchased a car advertised on internet. After conversing with the seller on the phone, reviewing his add and the photos provided. I agreed to purchase the car.

I was specific about mechanical condition and questioned if the car had rust. I was assured that this was a very good car and had no mechanical or rust issues.

Upon arrival, the car is not as described and is in fact unsafe to drive. There is severe rust in most areas of the body. It is so bad that the rear spring mounts are beginning to fail causing the body to drop down around the floor section is these areas.

Large holes in critical areas exist including the floors under the seats and where the seat belts attach into the floor pan. There appears to be an attempt to hide some of the large holes under the front floor by the addition of a metal plate partially welded to the outer panels. There are two of the plates, one on each side of the car. The plate on the driver side, had come loose and fell off when I discovered it.

The price of the cars was $12,900.00 paid in full. The car was advertised in Arizona and I am in Northern California. Yes, I know that I bought "site-un-seen" but I think the seller had an obligation to tell me that car had rust.. He certainly knew it had problems from the holes and heavy rust in door jambs, trunk jamb, bottoms of doors and the rust scale dropping out of the underside of the dash panel onto the carpet and also from the trunk lid into the floor of the trunk.

The car had recently been re-painted and new interior installed. He had told me that HE did the restoration work on the car himself, which also if true would certainly have exposed the rust to him.

Sue the bad person in Arizona.

Just finished filling out an Arizona complaint form. Now looking into finding an attorney. I suppose this is a civil matter? But if I DROVE the car and crashed, then is could be a criminal matter??? I have NOT driven the car at all .. It was transported to me, truck driver pointed out the pile of rust laying on the truck under the car...

Q: I suppose this is a civil matter?

A: Yes.

Q: But if I DROVE the car and crashed, then is could be a criminal matter?

A: Yes, you might be in big trouble if you drove it knowing what you do.

How do I find an attorney in Arizona that knows the collector car world and law regarding sale of unsafe vehicles???

How do I find an attorney in Arizona that knows the collector car world and law regarding sale of unsafe vehicles???

If it were me, I'd use a telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back