-Reseller Rights- what I can I and can't I do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedave

Hola!
I purchased a DIGITAL package (templates, software, scripts, logos, etc.) that had "Reseller Rights" in it and am wondering several things:
1. What can't I do with this package
2. Where should I go to find our more free information on laws that I must follow for selling and using the scripts/templates/software
3. How much protection do I get by selling the digital package, say I was sued for selling copyrighted stuff - could I blame it on who I purchased it from?
4. What can I do with the software
5. What disclaimers and terms and conditions should I give for those buying the digital package

Hola!
I purchased a DIGITAL package (templates, software, scripts, logos, etc.) that had "Reseller Rights" in it and am wondering several things:
1. What can't I do with this package
2. Where should I go to find our more free information on laws that I must follow for selling and using the scripts/templates/software
3. How much protection do I get by selling the digital package, say I was sued for selling copyrighted stuff - could I blame it on who I purchased it from?
4. What can I do with the software
5. What disclaimers and terms and conditions should I give for those buying the digital package

1. Most of the time these "reseller rights" packages you buy on the Internet are fraudulent. The seller may not even be aware. People pass down the content until they forget who was at the top of the chain.

2. Find out if the licensor had a good license and find out if the licensor was the creator of the software. If so, then you're in good shape.

3. Master reseller rights (rare to get) mean you can sell the product to others and give them the right to sell it to others as well. Reseller rights (usually challenging to get without royalties) means you can sell the product to others.

4. If the license you bought isn't good, both you and the person you bought it from can be sued. You can sue the licensor to "indemnify" you for not selling you a good license but you will still be liable to the actual owner of the property. You can't just throw up your hands and "pass the buck."

5. My best advice would be to find out the origin of the goods. That is most important and you can understand why now. Then I would get "representations and warranties" that the licensor has good title and can sell what he is selling. I would also get an indemnification clause that he will pay for your lawsuit if you get sued for not having an appropriate license.

Good luck with this. Remember that most of the time these packages are too good to be true... and they are! :dgrin

Sounds like a scam to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back