Required medical documentation

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I have called into my job stating that I'm currently in the hospital with an unknown release date due to premature labor and complications. My employer asked for a doctor's note and I informed them I cannot provide at this time due to the unkown relase date but when i do get released i will have documentation stating when i arrived and when i was release. My employer is now asking for picture of my medical bracelet. Am I required to provide this information?

I have called into my job stating that I'm currently in the hospital with an unknown release date due to premature labor and complications. My employer asked for a doctor's note and I informed them I cannot provide at this time due to the unkown relase date but when i do get released i will have documentation stating when i arrived and when i was release. My employer is now asking for picture of my medical bracelet. Am I required to provide this information?
No. But you may get fired if you don't. Is there a reason you don't wish to send the pic?

Your employer clearly doesn't believe you are actually in the hospital. This means he thinks you are a liar. If you fail to either give him a doctors note or a photo of the bracelet you will likely find you no longer have a job.

If you no longer want to work there, quit. If you want to work there take a quick photo of the bracelet and text it to him.

Are you required to send this information? No, you are not. No law requires it.

Is your job protected if you fail to provide it? No, it is not. The employer is not obligated to accept your unsupported word that you are ill, in the hospital and unable to work. Nor does the law obligate him to wait until you are able to return to work for proof.

Please answer a couple of questions as the answers MAY provide you with some protection:

1.) How long have you worked for this employer?
2.) How many employees does this employer have within 75 miles of your location?
3.) In the 12 months immediately preceding your hospitalization, have you worked a minimum of 1,250 hours for this employer?

Back