Required days notice for increase of rent in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mora

My landlord is raising our rent. Our landlord just mailed us the renewal of our lease and mentioned she is raising our rent starting the next month (which was in a couple of weeks)
My question is; Is there a required amount of days (like a 30 day notice or something) for a landlord to let us know they are raising the rent? Or can they just let us know automatically when the renewal of the lease is due?

Also, she mentioned in her lease that she requires a 45 day notice when we are moving out. Is that right? I've never heard of a 45 day notice requirement, maybe a 30 day notice...please advice..

Thank you,
Mora

Last edited:
My landlord is raising our rent. Our landlord just mailed us the renewal of our lease and mentioned she is raising our rent starting the next month (whichwas in a couple of weeks)
My question is; Is there a required amount of days for a landlord to raise our rent? Or can they just let us know automatically when the renewal of the lease is due?

Also, she mentioned in her lease that she requires a 45 day notice when we are moving out. Is that right? I've never heard of a 45 day notice requirement..

Thank you,
Marisa

I suggest you discuss this FIRST with your landlord.
The ability to raise rent depends on a couple things in California.

If you are on a "month to month tenancy", raising rent can be easy.

If you live in certain cities and counties, and are under rent control, raising rent is very difficult.
If rent control is not involved, then you have no options BUT to move.
If rent control is involved, Google "rent controlled leases in California".

Or, start here: http://www.caltenantlaw.com/LARSO.htm

In just about all circumstances two weeks notice to raise the rent is insufficient. However, if you do not want to move and you are able to pay the increase, it may be better to just go along with it than to start a fight with the landlord.

30 days notice to move out is the minimum required by law. The landlord can require 45 days, but if it is not written in your lease you can't be held to that.

In most states at least 30 days notice is required. When that begins varies between states but it is typically at least this period of time.

The suggestion is good to speak to your landlord but you had best have something to day - either you will stay or you will move. You may well be able to keep the rent at the old rate for one month but, absent a written lease, it would seem that you would need to make a decision about future months. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back