Requesting different lawyer

Baybrook

Jurisdiction
Georgia
How to I obtain a continuous on an up.coming court date

How can I request to have.a different attorney represent me

Have you spoken to the attorney about the issues you're having?

If not, you could try that approach.

If you hired the attorney, you can simply tell him or her, "You're fired."

If the attorney was court appointed, you let the attorney know that you'd like to terminate his services.

You can also ask the judge when you next appear in court if you can be heard.
When th judge approves, you simply say, "Your honor, I'd like to fire my public defender, and wish to have another attorney appointed to represent me."

You, of course, are free to change the words I've used and say it the way you normally speak.

Be prepared to explain, if asked, to the judge WHY you wish to replace counsel.

If the court agrees to appoint another lawyer, the matter will be continued to allow new counsel time to prepare for your case.

I'd keep quiet about the continuance and only bring it up after you learn if you receive new counsel.

I assume you are referring to a "Public Defender,"but if not,you can always give any Attorney,the "boot," and for any reason or no reason at all.
However,if where talking about a "free" court appointed attorney,because your not able to afford to hire your own,unless that Attorney,has done something seriously unethical in violation of the Georgia State Bar,or the ABA,or you can demonstrate a complete break down in attorney--client communication,you have no lawful right either through the U.S. Constitution,or by any Georgia Statute,to have newly appointed counsel.
The Judge,however in his/her's own discretion,based on a 'good cause shown," can appoint you another Attorney,so,it won't hurt at all,at your next court appearance to ask that you be heard on this matter.
As far,as a continuance in your case,if the judge,decides in your favor,there will automatically be another court date set in order to get that attorney time to prepare the case for trial.

Back