Repossession but lender is unable to recover vehicle

ChevyGirl916

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

My vehicle was repossessed 9/9 at 4:00am. After this discovery, I reached out to the lender who instructed me to pay the fees and obtain the release of liability from the police dept. After satisfying their request that very same day, they processed their paperwork to release the repossession and provided me with the address and the phone number to the auction where the vehicle is stored. When I called to make arrangements to pick up the vehicle, they have no record of the vehicle in their system and was referred back to the lender. When I explained to the lender the vehicle has not arrived at the location they've provided me with, they reassured me that's where it should be. I have contacted the lender, the auction and the third party tow company and here we are 9/12 and I still do not have the car in my possession. What are my rights as a consumer? If I paid my fees, I should be able to access my car as they say I'm entitled to. If neither party is able to locate the vehicle, can I report my vehicle stolen? Or is there a timeframe in CA that prevent me from doing so? Should I file a legal suit against all 3 parties?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

A lawsuit will only delay your attempts to reunite with your auto.

You need to keep things FRIENDLY and CORDIAL, which will make your reunification arrive sooner, rather than later.

If possible, you might wish to visit the lender/dealer with your "Woe is me face, because I miss and need my car."

Play nice, speak politely, look pitiful, forlorn, and lost.

You can go all legal on 'em if by end of day Friday, your car is still MIA.

If the reunion hasn't happened by then, a police report for a missing automobile might then be in order.

ChevyGirl, I suggest you go visit the auction place during business hours with all your paperwork and look for your car. Might be there and not yet on the books. If not there, try looking at the towing company location.

I suggest that you send written notice with proof of delivery, be it a fax, an email (receive confirmation) or a letter via proof of mailing or certified with return receipt. It doesn't need to be ominous, it just needs to provide them with brief notice about your payment, desire to pick up your car, and a copy of the receipt and details of your car.

Back