Reporting my phone as stolen

Billjones0157

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
So here's the short backstory. About a year ago I joined my girlfriend's (now ex) phone plan. I bought a new phone as well (about a year ago so there is still around 300 dollars left owed on the phone).

Recently we separated and she asked me to take care of removing myself from her plan. I called the company and was informed that she was the authorized owner of the plan and device (I was not put on the account as an authorized owner), that she would have have to call the company and authorize the device to be released over to me.

About 8 hours after I told her this, I tried to make a call and the phone did not connect to a network. I called the company and gave them the special number for the device. They told me that the phone had been reported as stolen. They said that the phone was no longer useful.

I went to a store location and spoke to a representative and he informed me that since she was the authorized owner of the device, that she was now responsible for the device payments. I sent the phone back to her, along with the prorated amount I owed for the phone bill, certified mail. I got a new phone and my own plan.

My question is, if this goes to court, how may it turn out? I gave her the details on how to release the device to me since she was the authorized owner, yet she reported it stolen knowing that I had it. I was more than willing to take the phone and the payments over, but the phone is now useless to me and has been sent back to her. Any advice?

I imagine that she just reported it to the phone company as a way of preventing you from using it without having to go through a hassle. There isn't anything likely to come of it.

Go get your own phone and get on with your life.

Next time, don't get financially involved with girlfriends on anything.

Life lesson from the school of hard knocks.

I imagine that she just reported it to the phone company as a way of preventing you from using it without having to go through a hassle. There isn't anything likely to come of it.

Go get your own phone and get on with your life.

Next time, don't get financially involved with girlfriends on anything.

Life lesson from the school of hard knocks.

Yeah I hear you on that. My concern was just that the family is very sue happy and I didn't know if I was legally obligated to pay it, being that she was the authorized user and owner.

My concern was just that the family is very sue happy and I didn't know if I was legally obligated to pay it, being that she was the authorized user and owner.

According to your account, you paid the amount you were alleged to owe, you returned the device to her, and you have possess proof of delivery.

If she does sue you, you already have your defense.

I doubt that you will hear from her on purpose about this.

Live long, prosper, and learn; citizen.

According to your account, you paid the amount you were alleged to owe, you returned the device to her, and you have possess proof of delivery.

If she does sue you, you already have your defense.

I doubt that you will hear from her on purpose about this.

Live long, prosper, and learn; citizen.
Thank you very much for the input.

Back