1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Replica Designer Items

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by karenboyle, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karenboyle

karenboyle Law Topic Starter New Member

I was wondering if it is legal for internet web sites to sell replica designer items if they say that their items are replicas? For example, Tiffany Jewelry with Tiffany&Co stamped on it. Or a Coach Hand bag with the Coach Logo on it. Aren't they violating trademark laws?

I have also noticed that these sites all quote the Internet Privacy Act code 431.322.12 signed by President Clinton. Is this act for real?

2. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

It is absolutely illegal to sell replica merchandise bearing the trade name of the original company on it. This is infringement defined! The code you cite is fake and an attempt by sites to create the illusion of legality. I'll sell you the Brooklyn Bridge but, be advised, I will also comply with the Privacy Internet Act of 2002 signed by President Abraham Lincoln. That's a little obvious but you get the point! :D