RENTER'S RIGHT (Vacate an Apartment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetice

I am currently renting a One Bedroom apartment. I decided to transfer to a "Two Bedroom" (in the same apartment I am renting) so my parents & only sister could stay with me.

On Nov. 5, 2006, I gave my 30 day notice to vacate the One bedroom apartment. And signed a new lease/contract for the two bedroom apartment & gave the deposit. It's stated on the contract that our move in date is on Dec. 9, 2006.

The Two Bedroom apartment is still occupied but the tenant already gave a notice to vacate the apartment. And that by DEC. 1 they will move out of the Apartment. The Landlord needed one week to clean the apartment. That's why we can move on the two bedroom apt. by Dec. 9, 2006.

Knowing that by DEC. 9, my family and I will be in the two bedroom Apt. we did the ff:

1) My parents told their Landlord that there last day on the Apartment is Dec. 9. Therefore, their landlord has another tenant waiting for my parents to vacate their apartment (and signed a move in date on DEC. 10).

2) I bought a furniture and it will be delivered on Dec. 9. Where will i put this furnitures, i've no space on my one bedroom apartment.

3) I bought Xmas Decorations w/c I will put on our new apartment. And We planned a Xmas Party on Dec. 17 and gave the Invitation to our relatives. We cannot accomodate them on our Small apartment.

4) My boyfriend filed work leave on Dec. 9 to help me move. And he wont be able to help me move in during weekdays.

NOW THE PROBLEM IS, this aftenoon (11/20/06), the Landlord informed me that the Tenant of the Apt. where we are supposed to move extended their stay until Dec. 15. and we have to change our move in date on Dec. 20. Which falls on a Wed. and we cant move coz we are all working. Also, aside from the fact that it's Four days before Xmas!!! Since we cant move in on a weekday, we will be forced to move on DEC. 23, Saturday which is one day before Xmas!!!

MY QUESTION IS, because of all the trouble that it will cost us. (Its very inconsiderate do for them to just tell us "Oh well sorry, we have to move your date of move w/o even considering the fact that we have also plans".

I just want to know if we have the right to demand to give us "free" rent for even one week? Or Any compensation for all the trouble that the Landlord cost us???

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back