rental cars & drivers under 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

dat1999

Hi,
My husband was issued a rental car after a drunk driver hit his truck. The rental car company does not rent cars to people under the age of 21. What happens if our 17 year old son gets in an accident while driving the rental, even if it wasn't his fault? Are we responsible for all the repairs? This has not actually happened...but we are having a disagreement about if it's ok to allow a 17 year old to drive it. Thank you.

Last edited:
I assume that if they have a rule against this, you would have to pay for the damages IF a wreck occurs. You should talk to the rental company to clarify however.

This is not Legal Adivice!

Hey,

Rental companys do rent to under 21 but normally the premium is very high. As you did not have your son down as an additional driver then i am sure the company will seek the compensation of the dammaged vehicle from you. Which means yes you are at liberty for any damage to the rental vehicle unless otherwise stated in the agreement.

Take Care

Mark.

No rental car companies will allow, or authorize a 17 year old to drive. Most car rental companies have a minimum age of 25, some have 21 with an underage fee being applied.

I would not allow an un-authorized driver to drive the car. Any damages to a rental car would be your responsibility anyways, regardless who is at fault and if you had an un-authorized driver driving the vehicle, you might run into some problems with your insurance company covering the damages. Not to mention I can almost assure you if the other driver's insurance company is paying for this vehicle, they will claim you violated the rental contract therefore its null and void and you are on your own.

So personally, I would be telling the 17 year old NO on driving the vehicle.

Staight from the horse's mouth.

This is one of the major brand polices.

At participating locations, this company recently lowered the rental minimum age to 21 years old in all states except:

Locations in the states of Connecticut, Washington DC, Iowa and Idaho, and select locations in New Jersey.
Rather than requiring customers to be 25 to rent, this company now rents to customers between the ages of 21-24 with a valid credit card and driver's license. At time of rental, we will automatically apply an additional $25-per-day underage surcharge for these drivers.

New York State will continue to have a minimum age of 18 with a $110 surcharge per day for renters age 18-24.

In the United States we do not have a maximum age requirement.

Government Minimum Age Policy - Military and Civilian Personnel

Military (Fema, US Postal Dept., Navy and Army) and Civilian Personnel

Minimum age - 18 years (No underage surcharge will apply) with Government Travel or Purchase order
Minimum age - 21 years (No underage surcharge will apply) no travel or purchase order
Additionally, the following restrictions also will apply for renters between the ages of 21-24: Renters of luxury, Mini-Vans, 12-Passenger Vans, Specialty, and Full-Size SUVs, Premium SUVs will not be permitted.

Hope this additional information has clarified the matter.

Take Care

Mark.

Thanks to all

I appreciate all the responses I received. Our dispute has been settled, and our 17 year old will not be behind the wheel of the rental. Your replies were a great help.
Thanks again!

This is not legal Advice!

You are welcome, thanks' for dropping by.
We all try to do our best to give you as much input as we can and I am glad the combined responses are to your liking.

Take Care

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back