Rental agreement

makentasha87

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I am looking to rent out one of my rooms, in the house. But I have no clue on where to start as far as providing up a rental agreement, and how I can word things. I do know that I do NOT want any type of drug use at my house, and was wondering if I find out that the person is doing drugs, could I tell them to move immediately? Also, I woul like for them to have a job, so if they loose their job and does not find one within 30 days, could I evict them?

Before you rent a room, which is very risky, do some homework and learn your responsibilities and limitations as a landlord, and learn about the eviction process.
As far as the wording of a lease agreement, visit your local office supply store and you will find a generic form with the most common terms. There is space where you can add anything else you may want.

Again, before you let someone in you should learn how hard it can be to get them out.

I am looking to rent out one of my rooms, in the house.

Advice from a former landlord: Don't do it. It'll be the worst idea of your life and you will get financially creamed for doing it.

Google something like "renting out a room in your house" and read all the horror stories from people who have done it, especially amateurs like you.

However, if you are still determined to put your foot in that bear trap, start by studying the TN landlord tenant statutes:

2015 Tennessee Code :: Title 66 - Property :: Chapter 28 - Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

2015 Tennessee Code :: Title 29 - Remedies and Special Proceedings :: Chapter 18 - Forcible Entry and Detainer

And how the TN small claims court system works:

http://www.tncourts.gov/sites/defau...o_for_people_in_gen_sess_court_-_may_2013.pdf

Also google "how to be a landlord."

Let me add my voice to the "don't do it" conversation. Having a roommate who is a friend or family member can be very challenging, very problematic and even dangerous. The thought of having a roommate that is a complete stranger is terrifying. You may think you could use a little extra money, but you could end up losing everything you have, including your peace of mind. Please find another way to make a little extra money.

You may think you could use a little extra money, but you could end up losing everything you have, including your peace of mind.

Worse yet, you could lose your life!!!

Some people report being RAPED!

Back