Rental agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

daigest

I have an unusual problem, I am renting an office space that is part of the building that contains 20 other "condos". The space itself is not like a regular office, the unit has two floors, I am on the first floor and the other renter is on the second floor. There are 20 other units just like this one. Due to financial complications at the moment, I had to terminate my apartment rent, so for a month or so I will be staying at the office. I am a quiet respectful person. I have signed a one year agreement with my landlady, can she evict or sue me if she finds out i am sleeping in the office? Also, because of the great location and the rent $, I would prefer keeping the office.
So, if she finds out and decides to evict me, can I enforce my agreement and stay until the end of it?
P.S I believe by mistake, we have signed a residential agreement, not for the office use. I don't think she realizes it yet, and I would hate to use it against her.

Thank you.

Your lease reveals all you need to know.

However, local zoning laws and codes trump your lease.

If the building isn't fit or zoned for residential use, your lease won't trump local laws.

Bottom line, doing what you're doing could backfire on you, not the landlord.

Don't break the law.

I suspect it would be quite easy to evict you. As mentioned above, the office most likely does not meet code requirements for a residence.
You could find yourself with no place to stay before long. If the landlord pays any of the utilities don't expect to go long without being discovered.

Thank you for your help. Though out of curiosity, I read an article a month or so ago about our congressmen saying that they wish to save taxpayers money, so instead of renting apartments in Washington, for the period of congress meetings they stay at their offices. Would that mean they are breaking the law? :D Also, what about those periods of time when overtime is needed, and you end up staying until 2 or 3 am, and instead of 1 hour drive home, decide to sleep over in the office? Would that be considered illegal as well?

Thanks.

Your comparison to Congress is apples and oranges. All that matters here is the lease agreement that YOU have.
As for your hypothetical, that would also be a question for your landlord.
It sounds to me that this is likely a situation where your landlord will not approve... otherwise you likely would not be asking this question. Better safe than sorry, but its your call.
It isn't "illegal" for you to stay at the office. Doing so might be a violation of your lease agreement, and that is a civil matter, not criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back