Permanent Residency Renewal Green Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

madison

Can a person be exposed to deportation or non-renewal of green card for 6-7 dui misdemeanor convictions? Can a person be exposed to deportation or non-renewal of green card for 1 felony dui? Is the test for this the 180 day jail time? This is not a crime of moral turpitude is it? thanks

It depends. While regular DUI normally is not considered to be a crime of moral turpitude it depends on the circumstances of the following convictions if repeated offenses are held to be, especially on the question if they occurred while a license was suspended or otherwise restricted because of DUI and or a conviction while on probabtion for a prior DUI. In those cases it is evidence or moral turpitude.

A felony conviction of a crime of moral turpitude within some time after admission or two or more convictions of any crime of moral turpitude usually make the alien removable.

Thank you for your reply. I have some follow-up questions that I hope you will be willling to answer.

He has been in the country since '87. From 87 to 2000 he received dui's but they were all misdemeanors even though on his 4th he should've been looking at a felony. In any event, they are for sure misdemeanors. In 2000 there was a hearing on whether he should be deported based not on the duis but on a cocaine possession charge. The dui misdemeanors were brought up. The judge pardoned the cocaine and did not deport him. He is now up for renewal. He has two duis since he went before the ins court in 2000. His highest sentence was 90 days for one of them. If he renews and they take a look at his past, wouldn't they stick w/ the last two misdemeanors only since his cocaine charge was already "lititgated?" Also, since they took a look at the prior dui's, would they also move forward?

Thanks for your time. I'm wondering if they will look at everything or just look at the last two dui's and whether, given all of his history he stands a good chance of deportation when he renews.

Thanks.

They will probably look at the total picture including the findings of the immigration judge.

Reply from you on 3/21

Thank you so much for answering my questions in detail. I am digesting your response now and will chew on it before I bother you again. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back