Religious Proselytizing from non-students inside a community college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prelawtom

Hi all, thanks for reading!

I am writing to see if anyone has any information about laws or rules related to religious proselytizing inside the buildings of a community college. There is an older middle aged man who is almost daily inside the buildings on campus where I have classes who spends the day instigating conversations with students about the Christian god and asking such questions as "Have [we] accepted Jesus Christ as our lord and savior?" and "Do [we] believe in [the Christian] God?" and "Do [we] believe we will go to heaven?" I have seen many students respond positively and many students ask him to leave, but the question is is it legal for a non-student to be inside a publicly funded community college proselytizing and initiating private conversations with students? I believe that the situation would be different if he were with the schools permission and had a table or booth set up offering information. For me, I really do not want to be harassed by people of any religion while I eat my lunch or walk from class to class and feel very uncomfortable that this non-student older man is walking around inside the campus. I have been searching for what the law dictates in these situations but have had no luck and do not want to complain to the school until I know that it is legally reasonable for me to do so. The first time I saw him continually approaching students I told the on campus police, just on the basis that he was a suspicious seeming old man who I've seen continue to try and talk with students inside the building. I never heard back on what happened, but he continues to show up daily. Any information about the related laws or help finding this information would be hugely appreciated!! Not so much opinions about whether you personally would be comfortable with this man being there and doing this.

Thanks!!!
-Tom

Community colleges are tax payer funded facilities.
In your state, as in many others, all publicly funded libraries are available to anyone in the community to access and use.
If anyone is breaking the law, report him, her, or it to the campus police.
Yes, in your state, as in many others; public college campus police officers are sworn law enforcement personnel.
If you are accosted, report all such offensive contacts to the police.
If anyone is trespassing, law enforcement will address the situation.
The person in question is simply availing himself of his first amendment rights.
You, of course, are free to ignore him.
You aren't required to interact if he approaches you.

Thanks for the reply. The problem I'm having is finding information about what constitutes trespassing at a community college. My college does not have any posted information about trespassing. My point is that this man is a non-student who does not have any lawful business to attend to and is inside buildings that do not have any libraries or other such spaces. Does all of the college count as public space for all community members? I would also argue that he is disturbing the educational functions of the institution, maybe not the institution, but at least the students that he continually tries to initiate conversation with and especially me, which you can say is reasonable or not. Of course this is a problem for law enforcement to handle and I'm not asking about any kind of legal action. I'm really just trying to understand what the rules are regarding who can be inside the college. I know that this would not be acceptable (non-student inside buildings approaching students) in a K-12 public education building, and am wondering how or if the situation changes in a community college. The situation is different on sidewalks or other public grounds, but I am not sure about inside the buildings on campus. I am concerned about my school's law enforcement's willingness, or lack of, to remove this man or take action based on the fact that they are Christian and believe what he is doing is good and appropriate, which from my own appraisal of the situation, seemed to be affecting how they responded to my complaint.

Since it is the school that would have to pursue any trespassing claim, if they decline to do so you cannot force them to. You can call the police if you want, but, the man has a First Amendment right to speak just as you do not have to listen to him.

Sorry you are offended, but, you don't have to listen to the man.

My question had nothing to do with his right to speak. I am trying to figure out if he can even be there. And what constitutes trespassing at a community college (not the library of the college) and if this guy is allowed to be inside the buildings with no lawful business to attend to. A non-student would not be allowed to wander through the hallways of a high school approaching students and offering religious guidance, or any kind of guidance, or anything at all. I'm asking if there are any laws regarding who from the public can enter a community college. Me explaining why he was there was just giving you context.

My question had nothing to do with his right to speak. I am trying to figure out if he can even be there. And what constitutes trespassing at a community college (not the library of the college) and if this guy is allowed to be inside the buildings with no lawful business to attend to. A non-student would not be allowed to wander through the hallways of a high school approaching students and offering religious guidance, or any kind of guidance, or anything at all. I'm asking if there are any laws regarding who from the public can enter a community college. Me explaining why he was there was just giving you context.

Public schools protect and educate minors.
Community colleges educate adults and support the community.
Visitors must register when entering most public schools, and in Texas they check you for sexual offender status, and/or child molestation, neglect, abuse charges/convictions.
Public universities and community colleges have, for the most part, open campus policies.
As I said, that permits access to the libraries, and allows the public to even enjoy certain facilities on campus.
One of our local CC has a culinary program and offers restaurant dining to the public seven days a week.
By the way, it's not St. This or Trudy Thomas College, it's a community college.

As long as citizens comport themselves in a civil manner, stay in public areas, don't interfere with the educational process, and obey all laws; they can't be trespassed.

As CDW Java said, only college officials can trespass people.
There are many people I dislike, and I'm sure they dislike me.
Keep your distance, they'll keep theirs.
Live and let live, life's so much easier that way.
The cafeteria, lounge areas, lobbies are meant for the social aspect of college.
I'm certain that as long as the public peace isn't disturbed, individuals are permitted to remain on campus.
Again, you need not respond to unwanted intrusions into your space, nor are you required to practice certain civilities.
When I'm in public areas and don't wish to be disturbed I wear headphones, bury my face in a book, or stare intently at the ceiling, floor, or wall.
We all have to "grin and bear it" in public, when I can't, I stay home.
As a Vietnam vet diagnosed with PTSD, I have my crotchety, curmudgeon days.
On those days, I avoid public places when I can, but if out I must go, I simply "hold my nose", state blankly at my surroundings, and turn off my listening ears.

Last edited:
Your asking a very simple question PRELAWTOM. If your prelaw, you should be able to find the correct codes that covers trepass. Trepass on public property etc. :) I would say... This guy was given a permit by the school to be there. That is where you could start as well.... The office that issue's permits.

I know he is not a student because I asked him and he said no. I know he does not have permission from the school to be there because I asked him. This led me to the question "Can this guy be here?" In response, I browsed the internet looking for info about who can be inside a community college. My search was unsuccessful. Here we are. His reply was something like "No, just a local guy here to spread the good news." I have many people his age in my own classes, definitely not ageism. Thanks for the concern though. I'm a first semester college student who has designated a "pre-law" major but it really doesn't matter because I am just taking general education classes anyways...so...in my non-law related classes, I don't have access to this kind of info nor do I have knowledge about how to access this kind of info besides a general google search.

Last edited:
My question had nothing to do with his right to speak. I am trying to figure out if he can even be there.
Why wouldn't he be? A community college - like any other property paid for by public funds - is generally open to all people unless they are otherwise engaged in criminal activity or disruptive. And when you get into the area of free speech and the First Amendment, the issue becomes much more dodgy.

A college campus is not a primary or secondary school where there are minors present that need to be protected. The same restrictions that might apply to a school with underage pupils is not going to apply on a public college.

And what constitutes trespassing at a community college (not the library of the college) and if this guy is allowed to be inside the buildings with no lawful business to attend to.
If he is engaged in UNLAWFUL activity or disrupting the activities of the campus. Otherwise, what is unlawful about his being there? Take a look next time you are at school - check to see if there are any signs prohibiting non-students from walking onto the campus.

A non-student would not be allowed to wander through the hallways of a high school approaching students and offering religious guidance, or any kind of guidance, or anything at all.
Big difference between adults and minors.

I'm asking if there are any laws regarding who from the public can enter a community college. Me explaining why he was there was just giving you context.
Yes. Read the IL trespassing laws. In one section it actually singles out an exemption for religious speech.

I know he is not a student because I asked him and he said no. I know he does not have permission from the school to be there because I asked him. This led me to the question "Can this guy be here?" In response, I browsed the internet looking for info about who can be inside a community college. My search was unsuccessful. Here we are. His reply was something like "No, just a local guy here to spread the good news." I have many people his age in my own classes, definitely not ageism. Thanks for the concern though. I'm a first semester college student who has designated a "pre-law" major but it really doesn't matter because I am just taking general education classes anyways...so...in my non-law related classes, I don't have access to this kind of info nor do I have knowledge about how to access this kind of info besides a general google search.

Okay, let's continue providing you with useful information.

In your state, the CCB oversees your state's CC system:

http://www.iccb.state.il.us/colleges.html

A student code of conduct handbook for IVCC:

http://catalog.ivcc.edu/studentrightsandresponsibilitycodeofconduct/#studentcodeofconduct

I draw the dear reader's attention to Student Code of Conduct, item 1:h - TRESPASSING, however this focuses on student "dos" and "don'ts'" ONLY!

This Illinois licensed lawyer explains "criminal trespass" and offers case cites:

http://www.skokiecriminallawyer.com/2012/07/i-stayed-too-long-criminal-trespass-to.html

Last, but certainly not least is an excellent analysis of WHY Illinois "criminal trespass" law is complicated and divided to trespass on lands and buildings:

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/article/20120328/News/303289907

The sheriff laid it all out for all to understand.

Totally legal. I work in higher education and it is not uncommon for visitors who are not students to be on campus for various reasons. If they are causing enough of a disturbance, the school will ask them to leave. If it just annoys a handful of people as they walk by, we wouldn't bother. Plenty of non-students come to campus for everything from our walking paths, to the bookstore, to sporting events, to visiting friends who are students/employees, etc.

Thanks for the info, that is definitely what I was looking for! It makes me much less annoyed knowing that he's allowed to be there. Thanks!

If he annoys you, then just ignore him/keep away from him the best that you can since it is legal for him to be there. That is about all you can do.

Thanks for the info, that is definitely what I was looking for! It makes me much less annoyed knowing that he's allowed to be there. Thanks!

We're pleased as punch that you found our information useful, Tom.
You can kill a pest with kindness, Tom.
Bore him to death with snapshots of pretty puppies, cute ducklings, or colorful flowers.
We all have hobbies we adore, but others hate.
Talk his ears off about those tasty beefsteak tomatoes you grew this summer, those volunteer hours cleaning up your community, the hours you spent tutoring disadvantaged UTES, etc...LOL
Trust me, he'll soon steer clear of you especially if you and your dearly departed uncle Peter start arguing. LOL

HINT: Ever use sock puppets, or painted faces on your cupped forefinger and thumb combo, aka, Señor Wences and Johnny? LMFAO

http://youtu.be/AJiYZ6QIAtY

http://youtu.be/uEio4rQDU5A

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back