Relatiing to CiityGirl

Status
Not open for further replies.

amt_

Relatiing to CityGirl

If you receive this as a duplicate, please accept my apologies, as I am new to the forum and submitted a question on 12/06/01 but am not sure if I did it properly.

My question was regarding the necessary steps i.e., what is the first thing I will have to do to file a claim against someone in Small Claims court . I live in the state of Maryland and have a situation very much like CityGirl, i.e. non-payment of rent and non-payment or sporadic and missed payments of an automobile in which I am the co-signer . Also I would like to know what can I do to have my name removed as co-signer of the automobile.

Sincerely

Last edited:
As stupid as I feel, I'm glad someone can relate. I've done a little research on small claimns court and here's what I found...I live in NYC, but I'm sure the procedures are similar for Maryland...
Go to the Small Claims Court in your City/State, fill out an application and pay a small fee (I think the fee is just to cover the cost of mailing a certified letter to the person you are suing). You'll need to include information in the application such as the reason you are suing, the amount you want to recover, the name and address of the person you are suing, etc. The court will then mail the letter to the person you are suing and set up a court date (here they say it's within a month of filing the application). Next, prepare for the case by gathering all evidence such as receipts, contracts, cancelled checks, photographs, etc. At the trial, you have a choice of a judge, or an arbitrator (which is a more informal setting like you and the defendant sitting in a small room at a table with the arbitrator). Anyway, I hope this helps. I'm sure you can find the specifics to Maryland if you do search on the Internet. There's also a few guides to small claims court out there that are worth reading that will help you prepare and let you know what to expect. Good luck. And no more cosigning!;)

Thanks so very much so shedding some light and helping me to get started in the right direction on this.

amt

Thanks for answering CityGirl!!! With regard to the motor vehicle matter to remove yourself as a cosigner on a loan, you may need to go back to the company issuing the loan. They may not want to release you and it may require the agreement by the other signer to a different rate of interest on the loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back