1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Regulations and legal issues concerning the registration of a motor vehicle

Discussion in 'Drivers License, Vehicle Registration' started by Qiana I., Jan 2, 2020.

1. Qiana I.

Qiana I. Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Wisconsin
    I registered a vehicle in my name for a family member. They decided to sell the car recently to a friend. I gave the title to my family member willingly for them to sell the vehicle in August 2019 (because I do not know how to sell a vehicle). I recently found out that the "new owner" never registered the car in their name, so its still registered under my name today! I've recently received a letter from the City of Milwaukee stating I owe $108.00 for not registering the vehicle since 2017 (something I was not aware of) and that they will intercept my state taxes for payment. I recently canceled the plates in my name but the car is still registered under my name. My question to you is, what legal steps can I take to get this car out if my name without the title in my possession?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. flyingron

flyingron Well-Known Member

I assume you meant by "gave the title" you meant you signed it and then gave it to you.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we try to deceive.

It was incumbent on YOU as the registered owner to file with WiscDOT the notice of sale within 30 days. Had you done it, you'd have not had this problem. You can file it now, but it won't excuse the registration fees.

3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Right. You need to pay it and file your sold notice.

Small price to pay for breaking the law and registering a car in your name that way.

4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Why?

Contact the Wisconsin DMV, explain what happened, and ask what you need to do.