Registering Financed Car in New State with Broken Up Couple on the Loan

gkidney

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I've just relocated to Pennsylvania from Iowa. I have two questions that are of importance.

1.) My ex-girlfriend and I purchased a car while in Iowa. Her name is still on the car and she still lives in Iowa. Also of note, the vehicle is still being financed. From my understanding, I will need her to sign a 'vehicle power of attorney form' prior to my attempt at registering the vehicle in Pennsylvania. Is there a specific link to this form that I can print/download? Does she need to have this form notarized or do I?

2.) I have apparently 20 days to register the vehicle upon establishing permanent residency in Pennsylvania. So far it's been 6 days. I was informed by my local title/tag agency that it could take weeks for the transferring of the title currently held by my car's lender. Waiting weeks however will violate the aforementioned stipulation of having to get things situated within 20 days. What happens if I'm pulled over but still waiting on the lender to transfer the title?

Thanks for the information!

*Note in reference to the first question: due to issues with credit, refinancing is not a possible option. She will need to sign the power of attorney form no matter what. Luckily she is cooperative and we are very cordial with one another.

Try www.DMV.org then pick your state to find the form or google it or ask your local DMV where to get one. She is signing the form so she will have to sign it in front of a notary.
Normally you don't have to do anything with a title held in another state by a lienholder in order to register a vehicle(but some states are different). Ask your local DMV if you can do registration only.

I've just relocated to Pennsylvania from Iowa. I have two questions that are of importance.

1.) My ex-girlfriend and I purchased a car while in Iowa. Her name is still on the car and she still lives in Iowa. Also of note, the vehicle is still being financed. From my understanding, I will need her to sign a 'vehicle power of attorney form' prior to my attempt at registering the vehicle in Pennsylvania. Is there a specific link to this form that I can print/download? Does she need to have this form notarized or do I?

This MIGHT be the form you're seeking:

https://forms.iowadot.gov/FormsMgt/External/411021.pdf

This link is a consolidation of most DMV forms, and maybe yours can be found herein"

https://forms.iowadot.gov/BrowseForms.aspx?category=5

If not, call the Iowa DMV and ask.

2.) I have apparently 20 days to register the vehicle upon establishing permanent residency in Pennsylvania. So far it's been 6 days. I was informed by my local title/tag agency that it could take weeks for the transferring of the title currently held by my car's lender. Waiting weeks however will violate the aforementioned stipulation of having to get things situated within 20 days. What happens if I'm pulled over but still waiting on the lender to transfer the title?

*Note in reference to the first question: due to issues with credit, refinancing is not a possible option. She will need to sign the power of attorney form no matter what. Luckily she is cooperative and we are very cordial with one another.

Its anyone's guess what could happen if you're hailed to stop by the police.

If you do receive a citation, you go to court and try to explain.

I suggest you be very careful until you've formally obtained proper registration in PA.

Your bigger problem you haven't acknowledged.
What if your former partner ignores, or otherwise refuses to sign the form?

Legally, you BOTH own the car.
As soon as some former partners discover that fact, they demand money to sign away their legal interests in a vehicle.

NOTE: If the vehicle has a lien with an out-of-state lienholder, contact the lienholder first to make sure you can transfer the title in Pennsylvania.

You might find the information on this link useful:

Pennsylvania Title Transfers - PennDOT Titling & Registration Information Online | DMV.org

Out-of-State Car Title Transfers

If you buy a vehicle titled in a state other than PA, you'll go in person to a PennDOT agent to complete the auto title transfer.

To transfer ownership of the vehicle, you need:

The out-of-state title, assigned to you by the seller.
The Application for Certificate of Title (Form MV-1).
The form is available at PennDOT title offices.
A tracing of the vehicle identification number (VIN) attached to your application.
Your PA driver's license or ID card.
Proof of car insurance, such as:
An insurance card.
The declaration page (or a copy of it) of your car insurance policy.
A copy of a valid insurance binder.
A copy of your Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan application.
Payment for title fees and taxes:
Title transfer fee: $51.
Sales tax: 6% of the purchase price or vehicle's value EXCEPT:
Allegheny County residents pay 7% tax.
City of Philadelphia residents pay 8% tax.
Registration fees.
Lien recording and title issued fee: $75.

Good luck....

Back