Refund repayment 6 months later

GusM

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I purchased an uncapping tank from Kelley's back in Oct of 2018. I had to pay a down payment of $170 to start the fabrication work. Kelley's processed this payment, and I paid the remainder on pick up at their Clarkson facility. December of last year I received a check from Kelley's for $170 after ML took over. I assumed I had overpaid and that was that. Now, it's nearly July and I get an invoice and email saying I had never paid the $170, I have records showing I did pay and the payments were processed. ML who now owns Kelley's wants me to pay them $170 for the refund that Kelley's issued because they say Kelley's shouldn't have done that.

Personally I think that's a business issue for ML to deal with, the transaction has been done over 6 months, yet they accused me of fraud despite having paid in full. Do I have to pay this?

I purchased an uncapping tank

Even after googling, I have no idea what "an uncapping tank" is. Something to do with beekeeping?

December of last year I received a check from [seller's name] for $170 after ML took over.

What does "ML" mean? What did "ML" take over?

Do I have to pay this?

No. Of course, we have no way of knowing what the seller will do if you don't pay it. Maybe you'll get sued in small claims court.

Even after googling, I have no idea what "an uncapping tank" is. Something to do with beekeeping?

What does "ML" mean? What did "ML" take over?

No. Of course, we have no way of knowing what the seller will do if you don't pay it. Maybe you'll get sued in small claims court.

Yes it is beekeeping equipment.

ML means mannlake a supply company, they bought out Kelley beekeeping supply.

The original transaction was with Kelley, the check was sent by Kelley's, apparently to clear their books I was told by the ML rep, who also stated that they were unaware that Kelleys had issued refund checks to some of their credit customers.

If that clears anything up for you, thank you for your reply.

Back