Consumer Law, Warranties Refund on Travel?

MRussell1

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I booked a $2400 12-day flight/hotel trip to Greece through the owner of a travel group.I immediately asked for the single supplement (additional fee you'll pay for your own hotel room). She gave me the price. Upon payment, I was sure to break down the costs including the single supplement amount on my check receipt and also in emails to her. Well, she just called me to say that there are no single rooms available for this trip. I explained that I'll have to cancel the trip. I would never book a trip without a single supplement. I snore extremely loudly, it can't be controlled by nose strips and it's not a "cute little snore" like she made it out to be. It's a medical condition that runs in my family and has actually lost me relationships. I explained that I'd rather not go instead of ruining someone else's experience since they won't be able to sleep. The owner brushed it off and says it's not her problem. She also said she's paid for the rooms already, and so I'll lose half of my money.

Is this my fault? Is there a way I can get my money back? I only travel solo. Again, I know that "I snore" seems like a small deal, but it really is humiliating and I'm already losing sleep thinking about it.

PS: I'm not finding any "no refund" language on her website or brochures.

If there any language in the agreements about a cancelation policy, or a deadline to cancel?
Your contract will govern this. If there is no language that addresses it and you can't come to an agreement you will have to resolve it in court and let a judge decide.

I'd be willing to bet you would not get a full refund, but you could potentially make an argument to get some back.

Is there a way I can get my money back?

Maybe, but you may have to sue to do it. Whether you can do so successfully obviously depends on the cancellation language (if any) in the trip documentation. On the other hand, I think the notion that you'd have not booked the trip if single rooms weren't an option is an appealing one -- especially if you had spoken to the trip organizer and expressed to her that you wouldn't book if you couldn't have your own room.

If there any language in the agreements about a cancelation policy, or a deadline to cancel?
Your contract will govern this. If there is no language that addresses it and you can't come to an agreement you will have to resolve it in court and let a judge decide.

I'd be willing to bet you would not get a full refund, but you could potentially make an argument to get some back.

Thanks for responding! No cancellation language at all that I can find in any of the confirmation info she's sent me, or on her website. She was very disinterested in my plight, and advised that I'd pay another $300 for an airline name change. Honestly, she seemed to be a pretty reputable (if not popular) group travel leader, and runs multiple trips per month. There were some other oddities in our conversations (she'd forget things, repeat herself often) that make me think she's not as focused as she use to be.

Maybe, but you may have to sue to do it. Whether you can do so successfully obviously depends on the cancellation language (if any) in the trip documentation. On the other hand, I think the notion that you'd have not booked the trip if single rooms weren't an option is an appealing one -- especially if you had spoken to the trip organizer and expressed to her that you wouldn't book if you couldn't have your own room.

Having a little more time (and less steam leaving my ears) to think about it, I believe the proper action upon learning that the single supplement wasn't available would be to contact the folks who requested it before booking the reservations. I would have definitely declined the trip.

Thank you zddoodah. You guys are AWESOME!

Back