Reduce child support

M

Marie25

Jurisdiction
Texas
My fiance and I recently had twins he currently pays child support ......My question is since my fiance is responsible for 2 other childern now can his child support payments be lowered?

My fiance and I recently had twins he currently pays child support ......My question is since my fiance is responsible for 2 other childern now can his child support payments be lowered?

Yes, Texas allows some consideration for a slight set off when a person has a change in circumstances, such as the birth of a child(ren).

Because of these guidelines, most people pay child support based on a percentage of their net income. "Income" is money from all sources, not just wages from a job. Net income is income after basic deductions for federal income tax, Medicare and Social Security.

Texas Family Code, Section 154.129.

In other words, the amount of child support required by the guidelines may change if you support children living in different homes. Here are some examples:

· Joe has just one child with his ex, Maria. Joe's guideline child support is 20% of his net monthly income.

· Joe has two children. His first child lives with Maria, his ex. His second child lives with Joe and his wife. Joe's guideline child support to Maria is 17.5% instead of 20% of his net monthly income, because Joe has a duty to support a child in another household (his own).

In your case, your baby daddy is paying 20% of his income to the mother of his other child.

You and he just had two babies.

Your baby daddy is shelling out 20% to her.

He must return to court to seek a modification.
When his child support is modified, he'll be paying her 16%, based on the two kids with you. That's a small 4% adjustment. Not much, but that's how it works in Texas.

- See more at: Texas Free Legal Forms, Law, Pro Bono Help Finder, and Resources

How to seek a modification:

Frequently Asked Questions - CS Frequently Asked Questions about Child Support Modifications

More info:

Child Support - Handbook for Non-Custodial Parents

Last point.

You aren't married.

If you and he separate for some reason(s), you could be left holding an empty sack.

You need to establish his paternity.
Once you do that, you would be smart to also establish child support to protect your children.
If you choose not to so now, it'll only create delays if he decides to walk, or you decide to walk.

What if he were to die?
What if he became disabled, or too ill to work?
What if he went to jail or prison?
Stuff happens beyond our control.
Stuff happens that we just don't expect.

Here's how it's done, and the state will help you for free:

Child Support - Texas Attorney General's Office

Back