redit cards and death

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissaknott

I have a credit card that is in my name only. Can my husband be held responsible for the debt if something happens to me?

Last edited:
Credit cards and death

From my experience handling both my deceased parents affairs, as long as it can be proved that you were the only one to ever use the credit card, he can't be held liable. In other words, he couldn't have EVER used it and signed his name or yours and it couldn't be a joint account. The credit card companies won't just "roll over" and will make threats, but I don't believe he'd have to pay them in the end. Hope this helps.

I have a credit card that is in my name only. Can my husband be held responsible for the debt if something happens to me?

The doctrine of necessity says that if the debt is acquired from medical bills, then the debt is shared jointly between spouses. Additionally, if by 'something happens to me' you mean death, and your husband acts as the administrator of your estate, he will be taken to surrogates court and the debt will be paid out of your estate (but your husband's seperate personal finances will not be effected). As far as property, we need more info. What state do you live in, do you own real property, have now do you own that property (tenants by the entirety/ tenants in common/ joint tenants). Whether or not a lien can be placed by a creditor will depend on these things.

I live in West Virginia the credit card was used for my shopping and does not have anything from my husband on it. The only thing I own is my house and it is in both our names.

Short of his name also appearing on the card, it sounds like he is in good shape here. If they come after you, his assets/wages/interest in your home is all off limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back