Rediculous and wrongful late fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

microwebber

I'm still learning the specifics on this case. With what little I know I was wondering if what the insurance company is doing is legal and if anyone has some good advise. My employer speaks chinese and little english. And has very little knowledge of legal proceedings. Everyone she knows wants only 2 or 3 thousand to help her. But seems to me she is being taken advantage of.

1. In 2002 the company imported $550,000 in turquoise from china.
2. No import tax is incurred for turquoise that is still in ruff stone form.
3. Most but not all the turquoise shipped was in ruff form.
4. Customs opened the part of the shipment that had processed turquoise.
5. Because it was mixed the whole shipment was charged import tax.
6. A lawyer was hired to fight the import tax and she does not know what happened. (I would like to look this up to see exactly what happened in court.)
7. 2002 - $27,000 and 2003 - $28,000 was given to the lawyer to pay the tax who said they would reduce the duty fee and bond fee if we paid a $3,500 service fee to them. They said the bill was paid in full and the case was closed.
(Customs was not paid directly, it was paid by the lawyer. I would like to know if there was some wrong doing on the lawyers part in paying the bill.)
8. Now here we are 4 years later and my boss recieved a call from the insurance company saying the bill was paid late and we owe a late fee.
9. She contacted the lawyer who then sent us a contract to sign for paying the insurance the $20,000 dollar late fee.
10. The contract requires a $9,000 late fee if we pay the $20,000 late.:eek:
11. After showing me the contract I advised her not to sign while I research the court papers and contract with the lawyer.

This is absurd to me. When I get home next week I will look at her paper work and post more. I told her not to pay or sign anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back