Red Light Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmone

I received a Red Light Ticket in Culver City, California for $360. :eek: I was shocked at the high price tag of the ticket.

I have never run a red light before and I feel it was an honest mistake, where thankfully no one was harmed. As it stands, I will be probably have to take traffic school to remove the point from my license which will run me probably another $80 (so I'm looking at around $440 total).

Is it possible to have the fine reduced? I don't make that much money. I'm willing to pay a fine, but the punishment seems draconian. :(

I'd apprecaite any help any of you have to offer.

Thanks,
Barry

I received a Red Light Ticket in Culver City, California for $360. :eek: I was shocked at the high price tag of the ticket.

I have never run a red light before and I feel it was an honest mistake, where thankfully no one was harmed. As it stands, I will be probably have to take traffic school to remove the point from my license which will run me probably another $80 (so I'm looking at around $440 total).

Is it possible to have the fine reduced? I don't make that much money. I'm willing to pay a fine, but the punishment seems draconian. :(

I'd apprecaite any help any of you have to offer.

lwpat here might be able to help. My advice is to go down and fight it. The prosecutor will likely reduce it if you agree to plead guilty but be a little firm with negotiating and let the prosecutor speak first. If you go down in person it's almost like the prosecutor will reward you for the effort, at least that has always been my experience. If you go with an attorney you can do even better in many places. Good luck!

lwpat here might be able to help. My advice is to go down and fight it. The prosecutor will likely reduce it if you agree to plead guilty but be a little firm with negotiating and let the prosecutor speak first. If you go down in person it's almost like the prosecutor will reward you for the effort, at least that has always been my experience. If you go with an attorney you can do even better in many places. Good luck!

I agree! I've been told by my college professors (who are attorneys) that it doesn't hurt to try and explain your situation to the prosecutor and/or the judge. Most of the time they'll try to work with you. :)

Have the profs ever been in a real courtroom?

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable. Ask about drug court, if applicable.

From marbol:

"Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a 'vibrate' position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR IT VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings."

(Better yet, don't carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)"

Here are seven stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I've been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter/wife/ex-wife/niece/grandma/grand-daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled/crazy and needs my help.

3. I've got a job/military posting in [name a place five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this. (This conflicts with number 5 below, but that hasn't stopped some defendants from using both.)

5. You've got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: "It wasn't me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off." Or, another variation: "I was forced into it by a bad guy!")

6. I was influenced by a bad crowd.

7. I/my kid/my whatever has surgery scheduled.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender's advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Generally, fines are not reduced at trial. The practice seems to be that the fines are pretty much fixed ... thought he judges might be given some wiggle room depending on the local court.

- Carl

California Red Light Ticket

It is very hard to beat a red light ticket. The officer says it was red and the judge will find you guilty. California does have one of the highest fine schedules in the nation. Your only options are to move out of state or get elected to the legislature.

Probably the best thing to do is to show up on your court date and hope that the officer doesn't. Then you can request the ticket be dismissed. If the officer shows, opt for traffic school.

In most states they will reduce the fine/points if you show for court. CA seems to be the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back