Red light camera stopped on crosswalk no cross street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan

If stopped on crosswalk and light turns red will I get a ticket? The reason I ask is because this happened and the camera took two pictures of me.

You answered your own question. You received a citation.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Are you a licensed attorney? Wikipedia says I had to be moving through the intersection. I have not been mailed a citation. Seems to me the only thing your sure of is two photos were taken.

From Wikipedia...

In the US, if any part of a driver's vehicle has already passed into the intersection when the signal turns red, a violation is not generated. A ticket is only issued if the vehicle enters the intersection while the light is red.

Well then I guess you will not receive a citation. If you do, you can plead not guilty & use the above as your defense.

Are you a licensed attorney? Wikipedia says I had to be moving through the intersection. I have not been mailed a citation. Seems to me the only thing your sure of is two photos were taken.

I am not only licensed, but admitted to practice in several states, the federal courts, and the military courts.

I'm also a senior (and still sitting) Texas district court judge, as well as an associate municipal court judge, and a visiting justice of the peace.

Why do you ask?

I am NOT sure of any photos being taken.

I merely related the fact that you answered your own question.

Regardless of the light, if you were stopped ON the crosswalk you could receive a citation. You are supposed to stop behind the line.

Wikipedia is certainly not a good source. Anyone can write whatever they want on there.

Pa. traffic control devices (traffic lights) sect. 3112:

What is prohibits regarding red lights -
Driving through a red light.
Driving through a blinking red light without stopping first.
Driving through a broken traffic light without stopping first.
Turning right on red when there's a sign that says "No Turn On Red."

Automatic Red-light Cameras (Section 3116)

If you drive through one of those intersections after the light turns red, cameras take a picture of your license plate and mail the registered owner a ticket. Of course, the owner is often not the driver, like when a teenager is driving his parents' car. The owner can plead not guilty and try to prove that he/she was not the person driving the car at the time of the violation. If that's proven, the government is not allowed to force the owner to "turn in" the actual driver. The hearing isn't in front of a local judge; rather, it's in front of a DMV hearing examiner.

Penalty for a conviction:
Recognizing the inherent unfairness in having a machine give a vehicle owner a ticket because it assumes the owner was driving the car at any given time, reduced penalties have been set for red light violations given by automated cameras.
Fine & costs of $100.
NO points on your license.
Does NOT become part of your driving record.
Insurance companies can NOT use it to raise your rates.

The Pa. DMV manual does note:

When there is a STEADY RED LIGHT, you must stop before crossing the marked stop line or
crosswalk. If you do not see any lines, stop before entering the intersection. Wait for a green light
before you start.

The Pa. DMV manual does note:

When there is a STEADY RED LIGHT, you must stop before crossing the marked stop line or
crosswalk. If you do not see any lines, stop before entering the intersection. Wait for a green light
before you start.

The light was green when I entered the intersection. I could not go all the way through because the car to my right changed into my lane and essentially cut me off. I waited for a green light to continue.

Regardless of the light, if you were stopped ON the crosswalk you could receive a citation. You are supposed to stop behind the line.

Wikipedia is certainly not a good source. Anyone can write whatever they want on there.

That is why I am continuing to seek advice. Regardless, Wikipedia is more often than not very accurate.

I am not only licensed, but admitted to practice in several states, the federal courts, and the military courts.

I'm also a senior (and still sitting) Texas district court judge, as well as an associate municipal court judge, and a visiting justice of the peace.

Why do you ask?

I am NOT sure of any photos being taken.

I merely related the fact that you answered your own question.

Well maybe you could stop yelling at me with that giant footer than. And, since your a judge, explain to me how we are letting big brother shoot pictures of us for a little bit of safety. Ben Franklin would not approve. This is not American.

Well maybe you could stop yelling at me with that giant footer than. And, since your a judge, explain to me how we are letting big brother shoot pictures of us for a little bit of safety. Ben Franklin would not approve. This is not American.

Frankly, I don't are for those cameras.

They're nothing more than revenue schemes for tax hungry governments.

In Texas, there's very little that happens to those who ignore the revenue demand letters.

They're not legal, just tolerated. I suggest you make your feelings known to the elected officials in your state. This is just a little online forum, without any power to change the law.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

The light was green when I entered the intersection. I could not go all the way through because the car to my right changed into my lane and essentially cut me off. I waited for a green light to continue.

You may not even receive any citation(s). If you do, plead not guilty & use that as a defense. Good luck.

That will not help. Though the light was green, it sounds as if you continued into the intersection when it was not clear to do so (considering you got no further than the crosswalk).
There are laws about not blocking intersections. You should have stopped behind the line.
That said, I think it is unlikely you would receive a citation in the mail for that.

It was not an intersection. There was no cross street. Funny thing was I had plenty of room until that car changed lanes going over the cross walk.

Let's hope you don't receive a citation - you may not. It wasn't like you ran all the way through a red light. If you do, you can plead not guilty & explain the situation to the judge - that's about all you can do. No one knows what any individual judge will decide.

All the best words for managewp!It's rlaley easy to work on several sites. Tnx!!!Još kad biste smislili neku aplikaciju da stranice mogu administrirati s iPhone-a, bio bih najsretniji!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back