recording my voice on the phone without my consent..please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmg0620

So basically, I went to a tennis game and was acting like an idiot with my friends. The tennis coach started yelling at me and telling me I was drunk (which I was not) and I yelled back "ooh, burn" and then I drove home and listened to my answering machine and he had left a message for my parents. The message was like "Hi Mr. and Mrs. "G". I just saw your daughter and she was acting like she was drunk or high, or on something. There's no doubt in my mind that she was on something. Please call me back."

Of course, I erased the message and had my friend pretend to be my mom and call him back. After she talked to him and introduced herself as my mom, he was like "This isn't Kelsey's mom" and he hung up. I called him back about 4 more times and every time he hung up. All I was trying to do was ask him why he left such a rude message on my machine. The last time I called, I asked him why he left such a rude message for my parents. I was simply trying to have a mature conversation, and he was like "I just recorded that. Stop calling me." and he hung up.

Now, my dean at school has suspended me from school because they're trying to "investigate". He told me he had listened to the phone conversation and he's wondering why I was harassing a teacher...I had no idea the guy was a teacher. My dean said that this tennis coach wants to charge me with harassment.

My question is, how can someone charge me with harassment if they called my house first, and they recorded my phone conversation without my consent? I'm also a minor, and you need a minor's parent's consent to record their voice on the phone, right?

can someone please help me? why is it a big deal if i called a teachers house? why is he trying to press charges against me for that?

Listen, you must get your parents involved since you are a minor -- do not be afraid -- get everything out in the open. Are you at all sorry for what has transpired on the tennis court? Your parents, along with you, must speak to everyone involved -- the Dean of your school, the tennis coach, etc. When this happens, everything will be resolved and all will be well again.

well actually im not at all sorry. the guy's an asshole. I guess he figured out that you can get in trouble for recording someone's voice, and I already admitted that I called his house. I'm suspended for three days from school so I guess it's not that bad. I'm just mad because I really doubt that it's illegal to call someone back. I seriously wouldn't have called that much if I didn't think he didn't have service.

How old were you? It sounds like you might be in high school. If that's the case and you were drunk, then you can see the problem you have immediately with trying to claim that the tennis coach was in the wrong. If he's the coach, how could you not understand he's a teacher too?

It's not that big of a deal. I only joined this site to ask someone whether this might go my way or not if this guy actually pressed harassment charges against me.

By the way, I'm in high school. It's not like it matters whether or not I was drunk, it would be out of my system if someone wanted to drug test me at this point. Also I had no idea he was a teacher sooo ya.

It's not that big of a deal. I only joined this site to ask someone whether this might go my way or not if this guy actually pressed harassment charges against me.

By the way, I'm in high school. It's not like it matters whether or not I was drunk, it would be out of my system if someone wanted to drug test me at this point. Also I had no idea he was a teacher sooo ya.

A piece of advice - not everything in life is determined solely on being caught with absolute proof of guilt. Acting drunk in a public event results in numerous witnesses who can attest to the fact that the school could be justified in taking disciplinary action against you. Let's say there is flimsy evidence to prove you were drunk - do you think that the school will care? If you end up in trouble, how many people would want to help you out? Nobody. In their minds justice was served and you'll be the one who'll be sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back