Reckless driving, never received summons, now FTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffCullen

I am not positive whether I should put this in Immigration/International or here, so I'll start here...

I am a Canadian citizen living in Vancouver, BC. I visit Seattle, WA frequently.

I was arrested for reckless driving on January 20th, based soley on speed (115mph in a 70mph... and yes I deserve all the flack I'm going to catch for this, I acknowledge that.).

A good friend from Seattle posted bail for me ($500 cash), and I returned home to Vancoouver on the morning of the 23rd.

I understood I would receive a summons in the mail with my court date. The court most certainly had my correct address, however I never received any notice.

Yesterday, my friend informs me he received a letter in the mail informing him that I failed to appear in court on the 14th of February, and that there is now a warrant for my arrest in the State of Washington.

This morning, I contacted the court and explained what happened. The clerk I spoked to confirmed my suspicion that I would not be allowed to enter the United States with an outstanding warrant for my arrest, which makes it extremely difficult to appear and resolve this matter! They suggested my only solution is to post the required $10,040 bail to vacate the warrant, and only then can I travel across the border to deal with this matter.

Obviously I could deal with a bail bondsman, however I would like to ensure I have no other options to exhaust before I go that route.

Also, I presume i will now also be charged with Failure to Appear?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
--Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back