Reckless Driving in VA with an NC license

Status
Not open for further replies.

odifiend

Recently I was pulled over for driving 93 in a 65 on I-81 in Virginia which is of course reckless. I am an NC resident so I've read a lot about the prayer for judgment. From what I gather, it can only be used once per household every three years and it could be an end all be all to getting out of fines. I have received a minor speeding ticket (7 mph over) in the past in Indiana that the court stated would not go on my record after I took care of it (did not use prayer).
I was definitely at fault while speeding and don't particularly have a problem paying a fine because I deserve it, but:
1) I am 19 years old and still on my parent's insurance. Would it be possible to have the prayer transferred specifically to my record as opposed to my parent's?
2) Do NC state PJC actually work out of state because I have read conflicting reports?
3) If I were to do a prayer, would I have to be there in person?
4) Should I note to a judge that I had a prior ticket even though it is not on my record?
5) Since I am under 20, would I have to take the VA mandatory driving course? or would it help me to take it?
Thanks guys - you do a great thing by letting people have their questions answered even when it isn't always good news.

NC PJC will be of no use in VA.

Take this very serious -- speeding greater than 90 has been reported to result in jail time in VA, you really need a lawyer.

A misdemeanor conviction will exclude you from being eligible for some jobs.

If convicted of more than 15 over or greater than 80, your licence will be suspended when the conviction is reported back to NC. Your insurance will go up 200-400+% -- if you can keep it.

Search the messages here for dozens of examples and more info.

Don't rely on what you read on the internet (not even this post) -- get a lawyer.

Thanks, Robbie - I am actively looking for a lawyer and I am taking this seriously.

NC PJC won't work in a VA court room but have there been any cases where it has still been used to block the DMV point transfer between VA and NC or another state and NC? I have come to grips with the extreme possibility of 10 days in jail and the fine, but am still more concerned about the points and the probable suspension of my NC driver's license.

If you are convicted of 15+, your NC license will be suspended. Start, middle and end of story. Pay the attorney. By the way, tell your parents they are morons for still having you on their insurance. Do you realize you are jeapordizing everything they own? Get the car in your name and get your own insurance.

I think the PJC happens prior to conviction so once convicted in VA, you have no opportunity in NC. It is unlikely you would receive an PJC for a 93 in a 65 in NC anyway (unless you look good in heals and a skirt ;).

Discussing with a NC attorney woul dbe prudent. I know they can help after an out of state conviction but have no idea how. I understand it is very expensive at that point so best possibility to minimize the damage is to start first with a VA attorney.

Let us know how it turns out.

lwpat said:
If you are convicted of 15+, your NC license will be suspended. Start, middle and end of story. Pay the attorney. By the way, tell your parents they are morons for still having you on their insurance. Do you realize you are jeapordizing everything they own? Get the car in your name and get your own insurance.
oh ok. I will. Thanks for your invaluable contribution. By the way, "Jeopardizing everything they own" was a touch dramatic... I appreciate that speeding to this degree is a bonehead move, but I would rather not be patronized about it, so if you could please refrain - especially when it sounds as if you don't know what premiums are like for drivers with less than 3 years driving experience without a prior policy holder.

Robbie, yes, I was thinking that it might stand to reason that the PJC could help with the points after the fact. I am pretty sure I'd get convicted faster and draw a contempt charge if I showed up heels :D - but it might be possible to get a reduction on my charge and then go from there in NC. I will contact lawyers from each state and update the thread as this develops.

I think LWPAT was referring to the liability risk your parents are assuming having you on their policy (not this particular speeding incident).

If you have an accident and seriously injure someone, once your insurance runs out they can go after you parents and everything they own.

If the car is in your name and you have your own policy, they can only go after you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back