Receipt for assets from independent executor

jessica harder

Jurisdiction
Texas
Is it legal in Texas for an executor of a will ask the heirs to sign and have notarized a receipt for assets form? It states that you "acknowledge receipt of all property belonging to this estate which was in the hands of _______, the ind. Exec to which I am entitled." He says that his lawyer suggested this so that he gets the forms back. He said if he mails the checks then there is no incentive for heirs to send back the forms to him.

This sounds very suspicious to me. My sister and aunt both agree. What do I do? What is the legal thing to do here?

Is it legal in Texas for an executor of a will ask the heirs to sign and have notarized a receipt for assets form? It states that you "acknowledge receipt of all property belonging to this estate which was in the hands of _______, the ind. Exec to which I am entitled." He says that his lawyer suggested this so that he gets the forms back. He said if he mails the checks then there is no incentive for heirs to send back the forms to him.

This sounds very suspicious to me. My sister and aunt both agree. What do I do? What is the legal thing to do here?

There is NOTHING inappropriate or illegal in requesting a receipt upon transferring to beneficiaries of an estate the monies or items bequeathed to them via the estate of the deceased.

In fact, it proves that Jimmy, Joan, and Timmy received what the deceased bequeathed to each beneficiary.

If you don't sign, you won't receive your largesse until you do.

Bulky for the lawyer who properly advised her/his client, the independent administrator.

This process protects EVERYONE.

If you distrust mailing, arrange to overnight, FAX, email, or exchange the receipt in person; rather than any other form of conveyance.

Read more on IA here:

Estate Administration in Texas

Is it legal in Texas for an executor of a will ask the heirs to sign and have notarized a receipt for assets form?

With the possible exception of laws that criminalize solicitation of prostitution, I don't know of any law in any state that makes it illegal for any person to ask any other person for anything.

Seeing as how you provided absolutely no relevant factual information, there is no way for anyone to offer any feedback about this. That said, if it seems suspicious to you, seek to gather information until your suspicions are either confirmed or allayed and then act accordingly. Likewise, if you have not, in fact, received "all property belonging to the estate which was in the hands of [the executor] and to which [you] are entitled," then it would be pretty dumb to sign something that says you have. You may wish to consult with a local probate attorney.

I provided information and if you're not able to understand what I was saying, that's your fault. I was asking for help not some sarcastic response. I asked if it was legal! He's wanting me to sign before he gives me anything. I know it's not right. Now I want to know if it's REDACTED L E G A L.

Insults and pranity violate our rules.
Behave please.

My, my, aren't you a charming little subhuman, who apparently has the reading comprehension ability of a second grader. I suggest you head back to elementary school and see if you can learn a bit more.

I provided information and if you're not able to understand what I was saying, that's your fault. I was asking for help not some sarcastic response. I asked if it was legal! He's wanting me to sign before he gives me anything. I know it's not right. Now I want to know if it's REDACTED L E G A L.

Insults and pranity violate our rules.
Behave please.

As you have been told it is not illegal to ask for much in this life. You would be stupid to sign a receipt for something you haven't received.

Back