Rear ended in Pennsylvania I was injured driver fled scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_reid

I live in Pa. and have a clean license and have full auto insurance coverage with Tort and was never in an accident before. As luck would have it, i was driving on the road going approx. 30 miles an hour (posted speed limit when approaching a curve. After making the curve another vehicle gently rear ends me; my air bags did not deploy and i was uninjured by the slight collision, so i got out of my car, as did the driver of the other car to inspect any damage. When i got to the back of my vehicle, his fog light was somewhat pressed up and into my rear bumper. As the driver of the other vehicle got into his car to back up some, i said wait a minute before you backup so i went over to where his fog light was somewhat embedded and it look like it might be more embedded than i thought and wanting to be sure that my rear bumper did not come off so i went close and put my left hand underneath a bit and cut my hand on the underside, i know now in hindsight it was stupid, but...i started bleeding profusly from my palm and the other driver took off..i did not get his license #..the road was deserted, so no witnesses...i wrapped my hand up in a towel and drove to the emergency room at the hospital 5 miles away.

I severed two tendons in my hand and had to have surgery to repair the tendons and be in a cast for almost two months with the total bills coming to approx. $10,000 all of which my auto insurance co paid...

I was wondering since i do have full Tort on my policy can i sue my carrier for
pain and suffering which was considerable over those two months especially with phyical therapy after the first month. I was unable to work for that two month period and it's going to take about 6 months for all the internal swelling to go away so my hand is going to be at about 60% of what it was before the accident. I also, use that hand for writing, etc.

I called my insurance carrier the next morning, while i was on pain killers and informed them.

I called the local police dept to file a police report, i was told over the phone that a police report would be of no good since there were no witnesses and i did not have the other cars license plate #. I told my insurance company that and they said it is no problem since they were going to pay all the medical bills.

Do i have a reasonable chance at pursuing a pain and suffering case against my auto insurance company if i retain an injury attorney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back