Real Estate Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryancannon

I am a licensed Real Estate Agent in the State of Illinois. I received a "Wage Deduction Notice" for a dispute with a plumber, today and one was also sent to my brokerage. Since I am not a "employee" and am an independent contractor, will my broker be forced to garnish future commissions?

What did your broker say when you asked him/her your question?

They have only been summoned to send my weekly wages, which obviously I don't have weekly wages. They aren't sure how it's going to play out.

They have only been summoned to send my weekly wages, which obviously I don't have weekly wages. They aren't sure how it's going to go

As I read Illinois law on wage attachments, contractor earnings can't be levied against.
The judgment holder can seek to levy your bank accounts or personal property.

Not all earnings can be garnished. Illinois specifically prohibits creditors from garnishing most pensions, welfare benefits, Social Security income, unemployment benefits, black lung payments, alimony and child support, veterans' benefits and unemployment payments. If you make less than $371.25 in disposable income each week, your wages can't be garnished at all.

Likewise, creditors can only levy against wages, therefore independent contractors and other self-employed people are completely immune from wage levy orders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back