real estate agent suing me

Jurisdiction
Utah
TDLR: Walked away from a house that I bought that was being built because it was taking so long (they said it would be done 10 months earlier still not done). My contract with the real estate agent ended so I left the house, and got a new real estate agent, and bought a new house. HOWEVER, he sent the demand letter because the contract said. "If the transaction is prevented by default of Buyer, the compensation shall be immediately payable to the Company" he has his own real estate company of just him. Do I get a lawyer or do I just pay him the 17k and move on? I am at a loss for words.

Thanks.

TDLR: Walked away from a house that I bought that was being built because it was taking so long (they said it would be done 10 months earlier still not done). My contract with the real estate agent ended so I left the house, and got a new real estate agent, and bought a new house. HOWEVER, he sent the demand letter because the contract said. "If the transaction is prevented by default of Buyer, the compensation shall be immediately payable to the Company" he has his own real estate company of just him. Do I get a lawyer or do I just pay him the 17k and move on? I am at a loss for words.

Thanks.

It can't hurt to have a lawyer review the contract.
There might be a legal way out, or the lawyer might be able to negotiate a counteroffer to settle the claim.

It can't hurt to have a lawyer review the contract.
There might be a legal way out, or the lawyer might be able to negotiate a counteroffer to settle the claim.
Ok I have to talked to a few other real estate agents, and they said whenever something like this happens they just say sorry the deal didn't work out etc. Honestly the real estate agent didn't really do anything substantial he showed me 2 houses, and I found the one I liked. I feel like he is extremely unethical he said he to buy this house and he will just resale it and find another even though he already sold my old house. I feel like he is trying to take advantage of a single mom.

Ok I have to talked to a few other real estate agents, and they said whenever something like this happens they just say sorry the deal didn't work out etc. Honestly the real estate agent didn't really do anything substantial he showed me 2 houses, and I found the one I liked. I feel like he is extremely unethical he said he to buy this house and he will just resale it and find another even though he already sold my old house. I feel like he is trying to take advantage of a single mom.

Single mom, married mom, single dad, doesn't matter to a scammer.
To a scammer you're not even human.

Talk to a lawyer.
Have the lawyer review all documents.
Ask the lawyer to advise you of your legal options.
Until you have done that, remain calm, don't respond to the scammer, say or do nothing until the lawyer advises you further.

Back