F Visa Re-stamping H-1 to F-1 to H-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkhanna

Hi,
I got an H-1B visa stamped for a not for profit University till Sep. 2011. Then I lost my job in June 2009. To stay in legal status in USA, I converted to an F-1 visa that was approved. I did not leave the country while I was on F-1 visa. Recently I changed back to H-1 B visa for a not for profit hospital. If I go to my country in December, do I have to get re-stamped as I have changed from H-1 B to F-1 to H-1 B again? Please help.

Let me understand your question - are you saying that you had your visa stamped for an H1-B which is approved until 2011 and you changed from H1-B to F-1 back to H1-B for a new employer in this short time? My understanding (don't quote me on this) is that your stamp from the old employer should be fine provided you can back it up with the H1-B petition from the new employer.

The fact that you are no longer working for your old employer makes that visa invalid. As long as you are within US, your status would get adjusted automatically. Note that visa and status are 2 different things. So, you'll have to get a new visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back