Permanent Residency Re-filing for Green Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

German

Hi,

I am married to a US citizen and obtained my green card through him. After 5 years we decided to move to Germany. He stayed in the US, to sell our house and pay off our credit card debt. We have been seperated for the last 2 years and I have found out that he did not pay off our debt and on top of that he did not pay back an equity mortgage that was on both of our names. Now there is a judgement for the mortgage against me and him. He took out all the money and left the US. I can't see what's going on my credit report, but I am sure that there are a lot of collections by now. If I were to refile for another green card (since mine expired) say through another marriage, would I have any problems because of the financial issues I have against me? We also have three children who are German/US citizen.

thank you

In general, my understanding is that having a poor credit rating is not one of the criteria used in reissuing your green card. However, if they become aware that you are or are likely to be a "public charge" (we'll have to pay you to keep you here) then you may have some problems. I'm very sorry to hear what happened to you - good luck with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back