RCN Cable Internet Downtime Causes Delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
I apologize for not being able to respond as quickly as usual this past week but the RCN Cable Internet service in my area of New York City has been down for several days and slowed to a crawl. Incredible as it may be to believe, it has been an ongoing problem from Thursday through Saturday where I get conflicting responses about whether the outage in my area affecting approximately 330 customers has been resolved. From my experience, RCN service in New York City is a complete disaster.

My latest call to RCN's Cable Internet division yielded an operator who actually was able to called the networking center (none could do this prior except apologize and tell me they were working their hardest to solve the problem.) Now I'm told that the claim is the problem seems to be fixed but somehow my modem doesn't work and that a technician will need to be sent out - later in the week. Why they couldn't do this earlier is beyond me.

To add insult to injury, the consolation prize to me was being offered not to have to pay for the days my service has been working at a crawl - as if this is a gesture of customer service due and not what they should have done without my calling to discuss incessantly.

I told them not to bother sending out a technician. I'll hopefully be able to switch from RCN Internet to the other service provider in our building (and that's fortunate since cable service is practically a monopoly in New York City.) It will take a few days but I'll be making arrangements in the meanwhile for high speed access via wireless broadband. Thank you for your patience.

The scheduled major upgrades unfortunately will not go on as planned. RCN has informed me that the 10MBPS service they were to provide (currently providing 86 kbps or less than 1/100 of what we should receive) cannot be fixed until later this upcoming week based upon availability for a technician.

An Internet outage of one full week in New York City is apparently acceptable to RCN Internet. Most calls get routed to call centers in the Philippines where determining the true answers to issues is next to impossible, hence the "call scripts" provided to customers to keep them aware that RCN has their "very best men" working on the problem.

While a technician from RCN will only be dispatched later this week, the availability of the replacement service (Time Warner) for setup is one week's time away. This means that we will need to relocate the primary location for a week, along with our data, so we can continue the upgrades and they will take place then. Thank you for your patience.

Should anyone even be thinking about using RCN New York for Cable / Broadband Internet service, think again. Should any problem arise, and it can easily, they are unwilling and unable to fix any Internet outage within a reasonable time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back