Raw material delivery 6 months overdue

Jurisdiction
California
We are a CA corp that manufactures, wholesale and retails a specific nutritional product. We have had a supplier in Colorado providing us a key raw material for over 2 years. This key material is of critical importance for several specific products. We have placed many orders for the same material and received all in a timely manner. We always prepay an invoice with a wire transfer and delivery is generally in 2-4 weeks. We do not have a contract. We only prepay the invoice.

In September 2018 we placed a phone order (with salesperson of 2 years). There was a delay of 3 weeks in getting us the invoice. The invoice was emailed in mid-October 2018 and clearly states a 10% discount that is specifically due to "Delay". This established an acknowledgment of delay in October. The $90,000 cost was promptly paid by wire transfer and delivery was planned for mid November 2018. This date came and passed with no communication from the supplier. We have documented emails and texts from us asking the status of the shipment. We have emails and texts stating a new delivery date was being scheduled for mid-December. This date came and passed. From that time, every week we have been told that there is a new delay of 1-2 weeks. There are over 50 emails and texts, all polite and professional, asking for status updates. We even flew from Los Angeles to their offices to meet face to face and were assured that the material would be delivered within days. That was nearly 2 weeks ago and my most recent reply yesterday was "2 more weeks".

The supplier is fully aware of the importance of this material for our products. I have emails explaining to the supplier that because of this delay we have lost clients, cancelled trade shows, delayed expansion and hiring, cancelled marketing campaigns, lost a key sales person, stymied growth, and more.

This supplier (a privately owned company valued at $150,000,000) has always claimed that the material that they provide is the very best quality that can be found in the USA. We have built our brand on this "top quality". In addition, $90,000 is a big investment for us and it is not possible for us to just go find another supplier without this money. I say these things because we are bound to and dependent on this supply order. I have fully explained, by email, text and phone conversations to one of the supply company founders, who got involved directly in this matter in December, that we are suffering greatly due this this unfulfilled order.

It is important to explain that the nature of the material provides no reasonable explanation for this delay. Any single day, the production manager could have slotted this order to be produced, filled and delivered. This supplier is the largest in their industry and fills orders every day. There have been no company-wide delays since we placed our order. Because of our growth and integrity I wonder if they see us as growing competition to their brand.

Given this explanation can we successfully sue? If so how likely can we find an attorney to take this on contingency? What is the standard split for contingency? Can we seek damages for losses in excess of the $90,000? Are emails and text admissible? Given the blatant inexcusable negligence is it likely to receive additional damages including punitive damages in excess of $1,000,000 (our 2017 sales $165K, 2018 $370K, expected 2019 were $800K-$1,400,000)? Do we have to sue in Colorado or can we sue in California? The company does not have a physical office in California.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

What did your corporate attorney say when you asked him/her/them your question?

I have a meeting next week. I am just looking for more opinions

You don't need opinions from strangers with $90K on the line, your supply chain of a critical material disrupted, and no responses from a supplier worth $150,000,000; you need a consultation with a qualified, competent, attorney (or law firm) that you trust.

The attorney, if qualified, won't spin lies into facts, mate; you are entitled to legal truths.

I suggest you avoid further perils by simply waiting to reveal your facts to your attorney and allow your attorney to provide you with your legal options.

I wish you well as you seek a remedy for your wayward goods worth north of $100K.

We do not have a contract.
While you wait, I suggest that the next time BEFORE you procure $100K of raw product you do so by contact.

Your attorney would be a great resource on how you establish such protections.

After all is said and done, ONLY you can protect YOU!

Without s contract I would expect all you are reasonably entitled to is a refund. Have you requested one?
You may not want to use another supplier, but it seems to be your most realistic option.

Getting another supplier seems to be a common reply. It is not so easy to just get another supplier when your material supplier is providing the highest quality material that is available and you have created a product marketed as having this quality and a growing list of loyal clients that expect this quality.

A bit coin farmer ordered $65.000 of specific servers for his new business. The server supplier sent an invoice that was paid, but failed to deliver the servers for over a year. There was only one email between the parties so there was lots of confusion. The buyer sued for lost revenue stating that the missing servers lost him over $3,000,000. He was awarded this amount.

This was based on an invoice only. An invoice is an obligation.

Getting another supplier seems to be a common reply. It is not so easy to just get another supplier when your material supplier is providing the highest quality material that is available and you have created a product marketed as having this quality and a growing list of loyal clients that expect this quality.

Except as you've reported, you ordered $100K of product which the "supplier" discounted to $90K, six months ago.

To date you are out the $90K and have no product.

You may not wish to change suppliers, however in this case, it appears you're giving money away and receiving nothing in return.

I have no problem with you doing that, and apparently you're cool with that, too.

You remain free to do whatever it is you choose to do.

Case closed.

As far as "bitcoin" and their unique scam, pontificate and preach about it all you wish.

I wish you well as you pursue what appears to be your own, "unique" scammer, too.

So I just got off of the phone with a contract attorney that is a litigator. This attorney is my wife's boss and owner of a firm that employs over 30 lawyers so I trust him answers. He assures me that this invoice which was signed by both parties provides a legal obligation of performance on the part of the supplier, and that unless the supplier can show a reason for non delivery, and if we can show that there is a history of delivery to set an expected timeframe, and present the emails and texts to substantiate our story, showing egregious negligence by the supplier, then we can sue for the $90,000 plus additional damages for losses, plus punitive damages, plus attorney fees. He will likely take this case on contingency.

I'm sure there are wise advisors on this forum and I appreciate the ones that have offered smart replies.

Except as you've reported, you ordered $100K of product which the "supplier" discounted to $90K, six months ago.

You may not wish to change suppliers, however in this case, it appears you're giving money away and receiving nothing on return.

I have no problem with you doing that, and apparently you're cool with that, too.

Case closed.

As far as "bitcoin" and their unique scam, pontificate and preach about it all you wish.

I wish you well as you pursue what appears to be your onw, "unique" scammer, too.

You may not wish to change suppliers, however in this case, it appears you're giving money away and receiving nothing in return.

Case closed.

I wish you well as you pursue what appears to be your own, "unique" scammer, too.

Case closed............

No more insightful words could ever replace such a wise quip. Derp, Pederp.

So I just got off of the phone with a contract attorney that is a litigator. This attorney is my wife's boss and owner of a firm that employs over 30 lawyers so I trust him answers. He assures me that this invoice which was signed by both parties provides a legal obligation of performance on the part of the supplier, and that unless the supplier can show a reason for non delivery, and if we can show that there is a history of delivery to set an expected timeframe, and present the emails and texts to substantiate our story, showing egregious negligence by the supplier, then we can sue for the $90,000 plus additional damages for losses, plus punitive damages, plus attorney fees. He will likely take this case on contingency.

I'm sure there are wise advisors on this forum and I appreciate the ones that have offered smart replies.

I am curious -- if your wife's boss is an attorney and owner of a law firm of 30 why did you ask here? To me that would have been a much more logical choice much sooner if there were this many damages/losses over time!

Good luck! Glad you found an an attorney who can help you further.

o_O
On a Sunday. At 1500 in the afternoon. Alrighty then.

He assures me that this invoice which was signed by both parties provides a legal obligation of performance on the part of the supplier, and that unless the supplier can show a reason for non delivery, and if we can show that there is a history of delivery to set an expected timeframe, and present the emails and texts to substantiate our story, showing egregious negligence by the supplier, then we can sue for the $90,000 plus additional damages for losses, plus punitive damages, plus attorney fees. He will likely take this case on contingency.

Just wanted to point out that, despite your attorney's optimism, there is no guarantee in any of that.

If he takes it on a contingency make sure you get a written contingency agreement and read it carefully. Expenses are in addition to his percentage. You may have to cover expenses for depositions and expert witnesses along the way. It'd be nice if the attorney fronts that money but many don't. Also make sure the agreement reads that he gets paid when he collects not just when he gets the judgment. Collecting on a judgment is often problematic.

Just wanted to point out that, despite your attorney's optimism, there is no guarantee in any of that.

If he takes it on a contingency make sure you get a written contingency agreement and read it carefully. Expenses are in addition to his percentage. You may have to cover expenses for depositions and expert witnesses along the way. It'd be nice if the attorney fronts that money but many don't. Also make sure the agreement reads that he gets paid when he collects not just when he gets the judgment. Collecting on a judgment is often problematic.

Thanks. All very good advice. As I stated he is a personal friend and my wife's boss. We trust him.

I am curious -- if your wife's boss is an attorney and owner of a law firm of 30 why did you ask here? To me that would have been a much more logical choice much sooner if there were this many damages/losses over time!

Good luck! Glad you found an an attorney who can help you further.

Like I said prior, I was just asking here to get other opinions. I don't think that is a bad decision.

Given this explanation can we successfully sue?

As I understood your post, you've paid for something you ordered months ago but haven't received, so I don't really see how there could be any doubt about this.

If so how likely can we find an attorney to take this on contingency?

I haven't the slightest idea. Make some calls and find out.

What is the standard split for contingency?

Anywhere from 25-40%.

Can we seek damages for losses in excess of the $90,000?

You can seek whatever you want. Whether you have any appreciable chance of recovering anything for this isn't apparent from your post.

Are emails and text admissible?

Of course.

Given the blatant inexcusable negligence is it likely to receive additional damages including punitive damages in excess of $1,000,000 (our 2017 sales $165K, 2018 $370K, expected 2019 were $800K-$1,400,000)?

No. Punitive damages are not available for a simple breach of contract.

Do we have to sue in Colorado or can we sue in California?

Do you have a written contract that says anything about the venue for any disputes?

So I just got off of the phone with a contract attorney that is a litigator. This attorney is my wife's boss and owner of a firm that employs over 30 lawyers so I trust him answers. He assures me that . . . we can sue for the $90,000 plus additional damages for losses, plus punitive damages, plus attorney fees.

Any attorney who tells you that you can recover punitive damages in a breach of contract case doesn't know what he's talking about. See Cal. Civ. Code section 3294(a) ("In an action for the breach of an obligation not arising from contract, where it is proven by clear and convincing evidence that the defendant has been guilty of oppression, fraud, or malice, the plaintiff, in addition to the actual damages, may recover damages for the sake of example and by way of punishing the defendant."). Colorado law is pretty much the same.

As I understood your post, you've paid for something you ordered months ago but haven't received, so I don't really see how there could be any doubt about this.

I haven't the slightest idea. Make some calls and find out.

Anywhere from 25-40%.

You can seek whatever you want. Whether you have any appreciable chance of recovering anything for this isn't apparent from your post.

Of course.

No. Punitive damages are not available for a simple breach of contract.

Do you have a written contract that says anything about the venue for any disputes?

Any attorney who tells you that you can recover punitive damages in a breach of contract case doesn't know what he's talking about. See Cal. Civ. Code section 3294(a) ("In an action for the breach of an obligation not arising from contract, where it is proven by clear and convincing evidence that the defendant has been guilty of oppression, fraud, or malice, the plaintiff, in addition to the actual damages, may recover damages for the sake of example and by way of punishing the defendant."). Colorado law is pretty much the same.

Now that is useful information and I thank you very much for taking the time to cite that code.

Like I said prior, I was just asking here to get other opinions. I don't think that is a bad decision.

It's always best to have everything clearly spelled out. So that EVERYONE is on the same page. Never assume the friendship will provide all the comforts you need. You ever seen a 500 pound bomb dropped on friends? I have for sure. Just because one friend decided to do a small short cut in the process. PYA (protect your a**) at all times...

It's always best to have everything clearly spelled out. So that EVERYONE is on the same page. Never assume the friendship will provide all the comforts you need. You ever seen a 500 pound bomb dropped on friends? I have for sure. Just because one friend decided to do a small short cut in the process. PYA (protect your a**) at all times...

You use that analogy often? I've seen similar but I have never sited it.

Back