Racist name-calling in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

clfelton1

My jurisdiction is: Pennsylvania

Hello. I am an African-American Supervisor at a Tele-Services Company in PA. I've recently been involved in a situation in which 2 of my indirect subordinates, together, called me racially offensive names in a "joking" manner. Although I don't believe they meant any ill will towards me, the names were extremely distasteful, and the situation was reported to Management & Employee Relations. Although the ER Manager told me they were counseled and the situation was handled, I've since come to find that they were NOT counseled, and the situation had been "brushed under the rug". I am now just as offended, if not more so, by the lack of resolution and concern by the Employee Relations Manager. Do I have any recourse in this matter?

Not really off hand remarks by subordinates do not fit the bill for a civil action against an employer. Now if a black employee receives an adverse employment action (or any other minority) after this incident for similar type offense then that effected employee would have cause to file a case. Since the white employees were hand slapped and the minority employee was treated harsher. Make sense? If not I can elaborate furtherer.

Thanks, Green Hornet. It isn't the answer I wanted to hear, especially since the company showed no concern at all about the situation, but I appreciate your perspective. I would still love to hear about some type of optional 'eye-opening' recourse I could exercise, if it exists....

Yes, but it REALLY sends a wrong message to other employees to allow the offenders to pass unscathed with what was already done.

Most large companies if the complainant is not satisfied can move the complaint from the H.R dept up to and including the CEO.

One other thing Clifton here is a link to the abridged version of the most important civil rights cases, read each one you will get a cursory knowledge of tittle VII. Read the following in order to get a genral knowledge of the framework cases: McDonnell Douglas Corp. v. Green 411 U.S. 792 (1973), Texas Department of Community Affairs v. Burdine, 450 U.S. 248 (1981), and Reeves v. Sanders Plumbing Products, Inc., 120 S.Ct. 2097 (2000). These are the biggies and there is a link for each with brief summary. http://www.agerights.com/cases/ussupremecourt/green.html

If the behavior has stopped, then I would consider the matter resolved. Off the cuff remarks may be distasteful and possibly offensive, but as long as the company has addressed the issue and they have stopped, it would be difficult to prove a matter such as hostile work environment or discrimination in the workplace.

Which is the reason I asked if the offending behavior has stopped. That is the employer's ONLY legal obligation. If it has stopped, it doesn't matter what action they did or did not take; they have met their obligation under the law and the matter is legally resolved. If it has NOT stopped, that's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back