Racial discrimination at a job interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juijui01

I recently had a job interview that I am very frustrated about. While I know that what was said at the interview was very insulting and improper, I do not know if it was illegal. In any case, is there anything I can do? Here's my LONG story:

I am Asian. My legal name is VERY difficult to pronounce. The most common English pronunciation (phonetically, NO WIN) has been cause for some childhood teasing. I'm an now an adult. I'm over it. Well, I thought was.

At my interview, the HR rep mispronounced my name. I (stupidly) chose not to correct her because it happens all the time, and I (stupidly) didnt want to embarrass her by correcting her. However, after a little bit of small talk as we walked to her office, I gave her an updated resume (new references, nothing special). My resume has my nickname, Tina, on it. She looks at me and says "Oh, so you go by Tina? You know, I've gotta tell you, when I first looked at your application, I saw your name and thought to myself, 'What an unfortunate name for someone to grow up with in this society. Why, you must have been teased all your life! What kind of hair-brained idiot would do something like that to their child?'"

I stared blankly at her, not knowing what to say. Finally, when it really hit me, I said "Well, it's acutally pronounced differently. And it's a cultural name, and it holds a lot of meaning in my family."

She then goes on to say "You know, one of the other girls here was going over my list of interviews this morning, and when she saw your name, she asked me, 'How on earth does she pronounce that?' And I said, NO WIN. And she says, 'Oh, she must be a Vikings fan then, huh?' And I just looked at her and said, 'Ouch, that hurts. They're my favorite team, you know."

At this point, I was very uncomfortable with the conversation and didn't say anything at all.

She says, "Anyway, NO WIN, I mean, Tina, hahaha, why don't we get you started with your tests?"

"Sure, that sounds great."

And then the clincher: She says, "You know, I've just never understood these crazy names that FOREIGN PEOPLE give their kids. I mean, you would think that they would know better! Don't they understand anything about American culture?"

She leaves the room so that I can start my pre-interview testing. I literally sat there for about 20 minutes trying to figure out if that conversation really even happened.

Now, I know I am an idiot for staying in that room and taking the tests. I now realize that I should have just gotten up and walked out that door. But all I can say to that was that I have been unemployed for 3 months now, and that was the first job I applied for that I actually wanted!

Now to the interview: The job I was applying for was for a written correspondence coordinator. One would then think that some of her questions she asked of me would in some way relate to writing, correspondence, or any experience I have with either of the above. She asked no such questions. When it was my turn to ask her questions about the job, she only allowed me two before cutting me off. Also, she gave me one-word responses to both questions. She then says that she has another interview, but she'll get back to me in one week.

Two weeks go by. I have not heard from her. I also have come to my senses and no longer want the job, but am curious to see what she says when she calls. But she never calls. So I call her. And her assistant keeps telling me she's too busy to take my call. Eventually, I call from my sister's cell phone, give a different name, and my call is put through. When the HR rep gets on the line, she tells me that she'll have to get back to me. I leave her both my home and cell phone numbers.

The next day I receive an EMAIL rejection letter.

Why do the words "racial discrimination" keep popping into my head? The company I was applying to was the Federal Reserve Bank of Mpls MN. And, as if it even has to be said, the HR rep was Causasian. (This is NOT to say that I think that all Caucasians are racially discriminating.)

What agency could I report this to?

Last edited:
The EEOC and/or your state discrimination board.

However, I have to tell you that I think you have an uphill battle.

Yes, the manager behaved TOTALLY inappropriately. No question about that. But I think you're going to have a hard time presenting evidence that if not for your race, you would have been offered the job.

I agree with cbg. The person who interviewed you is an idiot who just kept shoving her foot further into her mouth. Some people just don't know when to shut-up. :eek:

I think you'll have a very difficult time claiming race/national origin discrimination though as it apparently is obvious that you are of a different race or heritage from the name on your resume or application form. It would have been far easier simply never to call you in for an interview had they wished to discriminate.

You're free to file a complaint with your State's equal rights division or the EEOC however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back