Quitclaim to ex-wife

crfloyd878

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My husband signed a quitclaim deed to his ex-wife after our marriage in 2014 but I was not consulted. My question is....did I not acquire interest in the property once we were married and if so, would I not have had to sign as well? Thanks in advance.

did I not acquire interest in the property once we were married and if so, would I not have had to sign as well?

Absolutely NOT.
Why?
He acquired the property before you were married, therefore it was exempt from the marital assets; just as all of your assets so acquired would be exempt.

Besides, it was likely a requirement of his divorce decree and he had no choice and it was none of your business.

And even if you had acquired an interest it would be strictly monetary and not one of ownership so you still would have nothing to do with the transfer.

Further, in the unlikely event that you had any monetary interest in the property it would not have accrued to you until you divorced your husband.

Somewhere in your town I am sure that there is a meeting of the Second Wives Club where you might commiserate with other Second Wives about evil First Wives.

Back