Questions about emancipation

You asked if emancipation seemed probable for you. The answer is no, it is not probable. It is, in fact, highly unlikely.

But you don't have to believe me. Feel free to find out for yourself. But I warn you, if you come back at any time inside six months and tell us that you've successfully been emancipated, be prepared to scan and post copies of the court order or I will call you a liar in front of the entire internet. That's how secure I am in telling you that emancipation is not going to happen.

You asked if emancipation seemed probable for you. The answer is no, it is not probable. It is, in fact, highly unlikely.

But you don't have to believe me. Feel free to find out for yourself. But I warn you, if you come back at any time inside six months and tell us that you've successfully been emancipated, be prepared to scan and post copies of the court order or I will call you a liar in front of the entire internet. That's how secure I am in telling you that emancipation is not going to happen.
May I ask you why you believe so strongly that it won't happen?

Although you might be able to show ability to provide for yourself... Maybe... It is unlikely you will demonstrate a need for emancipation. It is full of unnecessary risk.

Because you do not have what the law would recognize as a valid need for emancipation. The state does not emancipate minors based on want; they do so on the very rare occasions that they do so based on need. You do not have a need for emancipation; you want emancipation. You are not living on your own. You do not have your parents' permission to move out. You do not have a legally recognized need for emancipation. THAT is why I feel so strongly that it will not happen.

Because you do not have what the law would recognize as a valid need for emancipation. The state does not emancipate minors based on want; they do so on the very rare occasions that they do so based on need. You do not have a need for emancipation; you want emancipation. You are not living on your own. You do not have your parents' permission to move out. You do not have a legally recognized need for emancipation. THAT is why I feel so strongly that it will not happen.
Thank you for letting me know. What would the law consider a valid need for emancipation? What makes the small percentage of successful emancipations successful?

There really is no legally valid need for emancipation other than, "I am living on my own (either because my parents both died or for other reasons outside my own control) and I need to be emancipated so that I can sign a rental agreement without a co-signer and get the utilities put into my own name and otherwise be viewed as a legal adult."

Emancipation is not and never was intended to be a way for a minor to leave home; it was and is intended to be a means to provide legal protections to those minors who, for reasons they cannot control, found themselves living alone.

There really is no legally valid need for emancipation other than, "I am living on my own (either because my parents both died or for other reasons outside my own control) and I need to be emancipated so that I can sign a rental agreement without a co-signer and get the utilities put into my own name and otherwise be viewed as a legal adult."

Emancipation is not and never was intended to be a way for a minor to leave home; it was and is intended to be a means to provide legal protections to those minors who, for reasons they cannot control, found themselves living alone.
That makes so much sense. Thank you.

What about a monthly income of $1,800? That's more than enough to support myself.

Hardly. You likely don't have much experience with how fast money is spent in the real world. Factor in all the things you don't already pay for and that money is gone before you earn it. You would be broke and looking for public assistance in no time.

Let me help you. You live in CA so a piece of crap studio apartment will likely run around $800.00 Gas is near $3.00 a gallon so plan on spending a few hundred a month on gas for your car or money for bus. Taking a bus could mean reduced hours at work if bus does not run during your shift. You will have cable phone and internet another $100.00 bundled. Include a cell phone another $40.00 at least. Do you have Health insurance? If not you need that. Not Medi Cal (your self supporting remember) Car insurance min $40.00 a month. Gas maybe $25.00 if your careful electric $70.00 again if your careful. Water around $100.00 maybe less. Add a budget for clothes, car maintenance and entertainment. I have not even added groceries yet. I probably missed something too. /do the math you dont make enough. By the way what about school? There can be no emancipation without a plan for your continued education.

Let me help you. You live in CA so a piece of crap studio apartment will likely run around $800.00 Gas is near $3.00 a gallon so plan on spending a few hundred a month on gas for your car or money for bus. Taking a bus could mean reduced hours at work if bus does not run during your shift. You will have cable phone and internet another $100.00 bundled. Include a cell phone another $40.00 at least. Do you have Health insurance? If not you need that. Not Medi Cal (your self supporting remember) Car insurance min $40.00 a month. Gas maybe $25.00 if your careful electric $70.00 again if your careful. Water around $100.00 maybe less. Add a budget for clothes, car maintenance and entertainment. I have not even added groceries yet. I probably missed something too. /do the math you dont make enough. By the way what about school? There can be no emancipation without a plan for your continued education.

Okay, so here is my plan. Everything in my town is close enough for me to walk to work, or I get free bus passes from my school whenever I need them. From my budget of $1,800: So, $1,000 is basically the price for a studio where I live (with all utilities included). So $1,000 for rent, $60 for just WiFi, and $60 for a cell phone. $150 for dental insurance and health insurance (which I have through work), $300 for groceries and clothes. I don't own a car, and won't any time in the near future. So my total costs are $1,570 with wiggle room for anything else that I forgot. This is cutting things very close though, so ideally I'd like to find a roomate.

As for schooling, I'm graduating high school in 2018 (early, as I have taken extra classes.) Then I will go to a community college in my town in the fall.
Thank you for your help.

Even in the unlikely event that every aspect of your budget works perfectly, you are still overlooking the fact that there are other eligibility criteria. It takes much, much more than showing the judge a budget. What if the cost of your health insurance goes up? It does for my employees, and myself, on January 1. For thst matter, health insurance doesn't pay for everything...what's your deductible? What if the free bus passes stop? Schools these days don't have money to buy books; there's no guarantee that a program of free transportation will continue. What if you lose your job? No one can guarantee that won't happen unless they own the business.
Then there is still the fact that you are not living on your own, do not have your parents' permission to move out and do not have a legally recognized need to be on your own. Judges LOOK for reasons to deny minor emancipation; they aren't going to overlook these facts on the strength of a barely balanced budget that can be totally demolished by a case of the flu.

in

Honestly, I find that a very rude thing to say. If you cannot act with respect toward the other people on this thread, please refrain from leaving anymore comments.

LOL you don't get to determine who leaves comments and who doesn't. armyjudge has quite a lot of legal experience - and as stated this is a free public forum. You get what you get.

Back