question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been asked to go to court reporting service I would like to know what this is and what happenes if I don't gp

You are in Canada. What is Court Reporting Service? I believe we have a Canadian Lawyer around here. You should get an answer soon enough.

A court reporting service is someone who writes down the questions someone (usually a lawyer) asks you and the answers you give, for use in court or to prepare for trial.

What exactly you will be expected to do, and what happens if you don't attend, depends on what your "invitation" says. Maybe nothing; maybe you'll be in contempt of court; maybe (if you're suing someone and you fail to attend your examination for discovery) your lawsuit gets dismissed.

What you are saying sounds like a Deposition. Is that what you are talking about? Basically where opposing sides, or some other person is questioned under oath by an attorney (or pro se party) with a court reporter present to ascertain and preserve whatever testimony that person has. ???

That's what we're talking about. They tend to be called "examinations" in Canada - examinations for discovery, examinations in aid of execution, etc. I understand they fulfill similar roles in the judicial system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back