Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim32

I wonder if someone here could give me advice.

I am working part-time and attending school in the evening for a degree in accounting.

Last week, a career fair was held at my university. That morning, I called in sick, saying that I wasn't feeling well (but nothing more). Later that day, in the afternoon, I attended the career fair only to find that my employer was there recruiting students. The people manning the booth from the HR department happened to see me, and now they're admonishing me because I am looking for another job. It's important to note that I did not take off consecutive days; neither was the day paid -- I took it as unpaid time-off. Is this legal?

Please help!

What does admonishing mean? If you had unpaid time off then I don't think that they have anything to say. In fact, they might have been recruiting students to take your job... are they giving any guarantees to you regarding job security? They also don't know your motives. Bottom line is that I don't know if there is any remedy here when there is no real addressable wrong.

Originally posted by Jim32
I wonder if someone here could give me advice.

I am working part-time and attending school in the evening for a degree in accounting.

Last week, a career fair was held at my university. That morning, I called in sick, saying that I wasn't feeling well (but nothing more). Later that day, in the afternoon, I attended the career fair only to find that my employer was there recruiting students. The people manning the booth from the HR department happened to see me, and now they're admonishing me because I am looking for another job. It's important to note that I did not take off consecutive days; neither was the day paid -- I took it as unpaid time-off. Is this legal?

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back