Question??

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveiturway77

Another co-worker and I (both males) got called into the division's legal office early last year. The reasoning behind it was a simple email that we had both been a party to. This email was very, very innocent.

Basically, we were accused of having an ongoing sexual relationship, which was 100% not true. As a matter of fact, we were called into the office on the Division's Presidents orders, as a joke (confirmed).

Behind closed-doors, the division lawyer stated to both of us that he knew we were having a relationship and that corporate had flagged our email correspondence (100% false). The division lawyer also put this private conversation on speaker phone (unbeknownst to us) where a group of co-workers (including upper management) were able to listen to the entire conversation.

After we both vehemently denied the allegations, the contingent of co-workers (including upper management) burst into the room laughing and pointing fingers at us...as in "gotcha".

I was thoroughly embarrassed (as was my wife when I told her the story) and I have been very uncomfortable in the office since the incident. This incident is brought to my attention weekly by co-workers, which makes me extremely uncomfortable in my current position.

Legally, where do I stand?

Legally, I don't see any recourse. Your co-workers have a very curious idea of what is a joke, but embarassment does not give you legal recourse.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 clearly states that sexual harassment is justified as such (of course, in a nutshell):

Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to the following:

The victim as well as the harasser may be a woman or a man. The victim does not have to be of the opposite sex.

The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, an agent of the employer, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or a non-employee.

The victim does not have to be the person harassed but could be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.

Unlawful sexual harassment may occur without economic injury to or discharge of the victim.

The harasser's conduct must be unwelcome. ---- Key point in this alleged incident.

IMHO, you have a case…….but is it worth fighting for if you are still employed by the said Company and plan to be employed by them in the upcoming future??

Additionally, this doesn't sound 100% like a SH issue, but sounds more like a slander/defamation incident (spoken words).

If the alleged "spoken words" have caused you any significant duress, economic distress or workplace frustrations, contact a legal professional ASAP.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back