Question/worry about licensing application

EvolvedTiger

Jurisdiction
New York
I am worried about the good moral character requirement of the licensing application.

I've been fired from a job for what was alleged to be theft. What happened is I mistook a five dollar payment for a tip, but there was a rule that you're not allowed to accept tips either way.

Should I be worried about this incident preventing me from being found to have good moral character? Should I disclose everything about this, or keep silent about it and see if the investigators find out and bring it up, or disclose a minimal amount of information on this indicating how insignificant I find it?

I appreciate any good advice and explanations for why I should/shouldn't be worried and why I should or shouldn't disclose everything immediately.

Thanks a lot.

Should I be worried about this incident preventing me from being found to have good moral character? Should I disclose everything about this, or keep silent about it and see if the investigators find out and bring it up, or disclose a minimal amount of information on this indicating how insignificant I find it?

A lot depends on exactly what the application form asks in the way of disclosures. You certainly do not want to lie on the application or omit information that is required to be disclosed on the form. On the other hand, if nothing on the form requires you to disclose this information then I would suggest you leave it off.

This one incident, particularly if it occurred prior to law school, probably won't prevent you from getting admitted to the bar if everything else is ok.

It does ask if you've been terminated from employment for cause.

What would be the likely consequence of omitting the information and claiming to have forgotten? I think you're right, but I am curious about the possibilities.

It does ask if you've been terminated from employment for cause.

What would be the likely consequence of omitting the information and claiming to have forgotten? I think you're right, but I am curious about the possibilities.
If your lie is discovered, you could be fired (for cause).

It has been my experience that the various licensing agencies all across the land are available for you to contact about any licensing concerns.

An applicant (potential applicant) is able to discuss the specific of her/his situation and receive guidance from the agency.

Why not contact the agency that gives you pause for concern and see if you can receive guidance about the success of you obtaining licensure?

Good luck, mate.

Back