Question regarding auto accidents in no fault states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoWilly

My wife was hit by another driver this past week. The other driver was ticketed and was at fault in the accident. My vehicle was totaled, and we only had plpd insurance on the car. The other insurance company will $1,000 dollars but no more. This will not replace the value of the vehicle, do I have any legal options here?

In Michigan (no fault state) - With regard to any medical fees, your own auto insurance company is responsible for your medical expenses related to the accident.

With regard to your property damage, even if you only have PLPD insurance (no collision coverage), you can still pursue a Mini-Tort case against the owner and driver (if different) of the car that caused the accident. If the at-fault driver is insured, the maximum claim is $500. You will need a copy of your damage estimate (or photos if the damage is significant), the police report, and a copy of the Declaration Page from your auto insurance policy. If you present these documents to the insurance company of the wrongdoer, they should just pay you the $500. If they will not, then you will need to file a lawsuit in Small Claims Division of the District Court where the accident occurred. If the at-fault owner/driver is uninsured, then you can sue them for all of your property damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back