Question on irrevocable trust.

Kanji

Jurisdiction
California
With the death of my parents, an irrevocable inheritance trust has been in place, one which was not contested in the 120-day period. I just received the notice of trust termination. This document asks for signatures of the beneficiaries "so that the funds may be distributed." My question is: in a circumstance like this, has the trust been officially terminated by the trustee (is it a done deal?), or does it still require all signatures in order to be terminated? I ask because I've been considering possible petitions to amend - allowed under provisions of the California Probate (section 15403) - and if the trust is still "living" I want to hold off signing it and contact the other beneficiaries to possibly petition for amendment. Thank you very much.

You should consult an attorney in California and retain him/her to read the trust and advise you as to how you can proceed.

Without reading the trust in its entirety anything anyone says would be conjecture, opinion, or mere suspicion.

What you require exceeds the ability of anonymous internet strangers.

Given what you wrote, the trust is being terminated, and that process is not yet complete. Consult with a local estate/trust attorney.

Back