Question on getting tags (new resident) when current ones are expired in Ohio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael9999

I moved from Arkansas to Ohio for grad school and after being swamped with two semesters didn't get my tags updated like I should have.

They're now expired. I'd like to get them updated, but per this website: (It's the Ohio BMV website, but I cannot post the link here) it's necessary for new state residents to drive to a dealership or bmv location in order to have the vehicle inspected. Obviously if tags are expired, you can be pulled over along the way.

Does anyone know of a way to get tags without getting an extra ticket in the process? Is it possible/feasible to get a temporary waiver on the inspection?
I've heard some states tow vehicles with invalid tags - mine are slightly over 3 months late, so I'd like to avoid that risk.

Also - if anyone knows an easy way to order a copy of your birth certificate, it's apparently required for the driver's license.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you are talking about this matter of Ohio State Department of Motor Vehicles Emissions Testing information which talks about waivers in special circumstances. There is more information available on the website.

Motorists may be eligible for an extension if there is a legitimate need for additional time to meet the testing requirements. An extension only postpones the testing requirement. A vehicle that receives an extension MUST be tested prior to registration renewal the following year. An Ohio E-Check Exemption/Extension Application must be completed and either taken to or mailed to the Ohio EPA E-Check field office, or mailed to Ohio EPA E-Check, P.O. Box 1049, Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back