Question - Doctors Counting Pills Not Prescribed by Them (Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluff

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Hi,

First, let me apologize. I am not sure if this is the correct thread/section to post in. If it isn't, my sincerest apologies.

I am prescribed a benzodiazepine (Xanax). This is prescribed by a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner.

I started seeing another doctor, unrelated completely to the Xanax prescriber. This other doctor is forcing me to bring in my Xanax script every month so they can count it.

Is this legal? Why would they want to count something prescribed from another person?

Again, I hope I am not sure what the best course of action would be, but I am hoping that this will get me headed in the correct direction.

I am in Maryland.

Thank you so much in advance.

Of course it's legal. If you expect the doctor to prescribe you any controlled substances then he has every right to determine what you are on now and how much you are taking.

You aren't being "forced" to comply. Nobody is putting a gun to your head. You are free to find yourself another doctor who might not be as cautious.

This other doctor is forcing me to bring in my Xanax script every month so they can count it.

What exactly does this mean? I assume the doctor isn't holding a gun to your head, so what does "forcing" mean in this context? I have a guess about what you really mean, but I'd rather not guess.

Is this legal?

Impossible to say without knowing exactly what's happening.

Why would they want to count something prescribed from another person?

If Person A tells something to Person B and Person B wants to know why Person A said what he said, the best way to find out is typically for Person B to ask Person A. Asking Person C why Person A said something is typically not productive. In case I'm not being clear, you are Person B, your doctor is Person A, and everyone here is (collectively) Person C. We can blindly guess, but our blind guesses will potentially be wrong.

I hope I am not sure what the best course of action would be, but I am hoping that this will get me headed in the correct direction.

Talk with your doctor about why he's doing what he's doing.

P.S. There was nothing insulting about what "adjusterjack" wrote.

Whenever someone has a question about a "controlled substance" everyone assumes that one is an addict, selling the medication on the streets, etc...

I am sorry that I was involved in an armed robbery when I was 5 and got shot at, thus my taking Xanax for PTSD.

When I say that they are forcing me to bring it in, I mean that they will discharge me if I do not.

That is what I was trying to check the legality of.

Last edited:
This other doctor is forcing me to bring in my Xanax script every month so they can count it.

Good practice, if you ask me, because many people that are prescribed CONTROLLED substances abuse those medications.

It seems the physician you MIGHT begin to patronize trusts her/his patients but wishes to verify their claims.

Wise, very wise.

Is this legal?

Unsure if its legal, proably is legal, but its clearly NOT illegal.

You can refuse, and that particular physician will probably not accept you as a patient.

Why would they want to count something prescribed from another person?

Because the physician verifies what patients say.

When I say that they are forcing me to bring it in, I mean that they will discharge me if I do not.

That is what I was trying to check the legality of.

I think what you're saying is that the doctor you "started seeing" has told you that he will not continue to have you as a patient unless you "bring in [your] Xanax script every month so they [sic] can count it." Correct? Or, stated differently, the doctor wants you to prove that you're not abusing your Xanax prescription.

Yes, that's legal (it's also not "forcing" you). A doctor has no legal obligation to see or continue seeing any patient.

Whenever someone has a question about a "controlled substance" everyone assumes that one is an addict, selling the medication on the streets, etc.

No one here made that assumption. Nor is your doctor making that assumption. The doctor is just verifying that you aren't doing those things.

Dang, Being shot at will get me drugs. Heck yea baby sign me up.

I take pain meds and have done so for the past 11 years. You know what i tell my doctors because of all the druggies out there. Count my pills anytime you wish. Heck you can come knock on my door at 2am and we can count them then. Now.... if they came to the house every week at 2am i would be pissed. I have NO problem what so ever allowing a doctor to count my drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back