Question concerning driveway "right of way"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan_Crowder

We live almost at the end of a single-lane driveway that's 9/10 of a mile long. Our studio(business) is at the dead end of it. At the main road entrance of the driveway, we have a neighbor that has black topped well past her property line(including paving one neghbor's parking area for them). In all there are 8 dwellings & 1 business on the right of way.
In re-paving the drive, she has replaced two speed bumps with a total of 8.
She knows we ride a motorcycle & that we have put up signs to warn incoming traffic of motorcycles traveling on the drive(which is very steep in some areas & hard to pass/pull over on the graveled shoulder).
Her son also rides a motorcycle...the majority of the speed bumps are located past their main entrance onto the main driveway.
My husband & his Father(previous owner of our lots) had to go to court to get the right of way for our properties included in with our deeds. This was done years before the lady moved in. The business was also established before she moved in.
About 3 years ago-in the process of moving my daughter's single-wide house trailer up the drive- a tree limb(on the lady's portion of the driveway) had to be removed for the trailer to move safely up the driveway. She WENT OFF!!...Something about damaging the "spirit" of the tree? Well, my husband sent my son-in-law to town to get some kind of stuff to paint on the tree stump. (We live 18 miles from town...)
Needless to say, her disposition hasn't improved a bit since then. She never informed us about the road work/paving, traffic delays on the drive, nor of the closing time needed on Saturday-my husband had to contact the contractor to find out about their schedule for the paving.
In the spirit of trying to get along with our neighbors...we re-scheduled pickups Thurs thru Fri to work around the intermittant driveway blockages, and then closed down the studio all day Saturday for the main body of the paving to be done & have a cool down/curing period before any traffic could drive on it. We thought they were through with the driveway since there was nothing further done from Monday thru Wed of the following week.
AGAIN, no one took the time to let us know that there would be shut-down of the driveway on the following Thursday(1-1 1/2 hours) to install the "speed bumps". We hadn't anticipated them, so we didn't think any further delays would be happening. As a result, we had a couple of irate customers+2 irate Taxidermists==possible loss of customers/business/income.
Is there anything I can do to get the excess speed bumps removed? Traffic doesn't "Fly" around this drive.
I worry that one of us will drop our motorcycles &/or get hurt. Who would be responsible for that expense?
I already expect that no matter what we do, we'll not receive the co-operation from the lady on down the drive. Is ther any hope for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back